Hi Vincent,
Good question!  This graphic is actually a little misleading and should be
changed to show Arches app acting as a proxy to to the Elasticsearch server.
Elasticsearch runs as a separate service and additional instances of
Elasticsearch can be setup on additional machines if needed.
Cheers,
Alexei

Director of Web Development - Farallon Geographics, Inc. - 971.227.3173