Hi Darcy, if you are dragging and dropping the file into the dropzone, you
would be encountering this documented issue
<https://github.com/archesproject/arches/issues/240>. The drag and drop
operation results in a bad file path, which causes an error like what you
are seeing. The workaround is to click and find the image file through the
file browser.

Hope that helps!

Adam