Hi Angela, yes, the bounds don't control where you are able to create or
view resources. As described in the documentation, they really only affect
the extent of the hex bins layer that is added to the map by default. Also,
they are used for the default map zoom, but as you've noticed I'm sure, if
there are any resources in the database, the map automatically zooms to
them anyway (default behavior after search). However, it does start zooming
from the extent of the hex bins.

Regarding the hex bins, one way that the bbox does really matter is that,
as I mentioned in the in-app help in the system settings page, you could
easily overload the browser by have a small hex bin size and a large bbox
(on chrome I found the page to just crash in certain situations). So it is
important be able to reduce the bbox size if you are hoping to have small
hex bins.

Hope that helps,
Adam