Hi Dale, there are really two ways to add a new user. One, as you tried,
would be to use the signup form (more below about why that wasn't working),
and second, an admin can create a new user at any time by going to the
Django admin panel at http://myarcheswebsite.co.uk/admin. Note that access
to the Django admin panel is restricted to users who have "staff" status
(as defined in that panel).

To get to the specific error you are seeing, it looks like you do not have
the e-mail settings updated. The easiest way to get that working is to give
Arches access to an e-mail account that is housed on a different e-mail
server, gmail for example. Please look in your project's settings_local.py
file, and uncomment and update these variables (note these credentials
should *always *stay in settings_local.py so they are outside of version
control):

EMAIL_HOST = 'smtp.gmail.com'
EMAIL_HOST_USER = 'x...@xxx.com'
EMAIL_HOST_PASSWORD = 'xxxxxxx'
EMAIL_PORT = 587
EMAIL_USE_TLS = True

I have found many sources that don't recommend using Gmail for a production
django app, but it's very easy to get it up and running right away. For
production deployments, you may want something like Mailgun, but setting
that up will require some new records in your DNS, etc.

Please let me know if this works. I realize we need to add the e-mail
configuration to the docs, and I hope to be able to do so soon.

Adam