Hi Christian -

I generally run elasticsearch with the `-d` option so that it runs as a
daemon. This allows me to close the terminal and shut down the machine on
which ES is running and later resume without any additional steps. Other
than that there really are no special steps that need to be taken to shut
down Arches. The error that you got seems to be an issue with virtualenv.
Once you pip install arches, arches and its Python dependencies (including
Django) should be installed in your virtualenv and be available regardless
of how you stop arches or shutdown your server.  So, I'm not sure what went
wrong to cause the error you saw, and I'm sorry it resulted in you having
to reinstall everything.  Hopefully it doesn't happen again, but I would
take a snapshot of my VM before shutting down, just in case it does.

Regarding your map issue, getting a mapbox API key and adding it to your
system settings should resolve that issue.

Cheers -

Cyrus