Hi everyone,

I have compiled a list of steps that I took to successfully complete a
developer installation of Arches 4.4.3 locally on my Windows 10 laptop.
Please note that these are not the recommended steps for installation;
these are the troubleshooting steps that I took to test the documented
developer installation steps, without fully deploying an Arches instance.
If you are using Windows OS, it is generally recommended to deploy
utilizing a Linux system. That said, these steps may be of assistance to
someone troubleshooting their own local test installation. If you encounter
other installation errors, be sure to post them to the Arches forum for
assistance from the community.

For reference, the original developer installation documentation can be
found here.
<https://arches.readthedocs.io/en/stable/creating-a-development-environment/#creating-a-development-environment>

--

*Install any Requirements and Dependencies
<https://arches.readthedocs.io/en/stable/requirements-and-dependencies/#>*

*Confirm system environment variables*

   1.

      GDAL_DATA = “C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.6\gdal_data”
      2.

         “C:\OSGeo4W64\bin”
         1.

            Important: move up to the top of the list of Path environment
            variables
            2.

         C:\Program Files\nodejs\
         3.

         C:\Program Files (x86)\Yarn\bin\
         4.

         C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.6\bin
         5.

         C:\Python27
         6.

         C:\Python27\Scripts

*Test PostGres*
In command line:

psql -U postgres

Log-in with password

If unable to remember password:
http://www.homebrewandtechnology.com/blog/graphicallychangepostgresadminpassword

*Optional:* to test server

CREATE DATABASE test;
\c test
CREATE EXTENSION postgis;
\q

*Start ElasticSearch*

Open ElasticSearch directory /bin/elasticsearch.bat

Double click to start bacth file

*Open command line*

*Create a new directory for your project*

mkdir archesproject && cd archesproject

*Create virtual environment*

virtualenv ENV
ENV\Scripts\activate

*Clone into Arches GitHub repository*

git clone https://github.com/archesproject/arches.git

*Checkout preferred branch and install requirements*

cd arches
git checkout stable/4.4.3
pip freeze
pip freeze > requirements.txt
pip install -e .
pip install -r arches/install/requirements.txt
pip install -r arches/install/requirements_dev.txt
cd ..

*Create project*

python ENV\Scripts\arches-project create my_project
cd my_project

*Open settings_local.py in the my_project directory*

   1. Add: GDAL_LIBRARY_PATH = 'C/OSGeo4W64/bin/gdal300.dll'
   2. Note: GDAL 204 is the preferred GDAL version for Arches Version 4

*Create database for project (in command line)*
psql -U postgres
CREATE DATABASE my_project;
\c my_project
CREATE EXTENSION postgis;
\q

*Note:* to delete database or extension (if already exists)
DROP EXTENSION postgis;

*Setup Database*
python manage.py packages -o setub_db

IF ERROR: "django.contrib.gis.geos.error.GEOSException: Could not parse
version info string "3.8.0-CAPI-1.13.1"

   1. Edit this file:
   my_project/ENV/Lib/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/geos/libgeos.py
   2. Look for this function: geos_version_info
   3. And change this line: ver = geos_version().decode()
   4. With this line: ver = geos_version().decode().split(' ')[0]

NOTE: editing files in your Virtual Environment is not generally
recommended. This error may be attributed to using GDAL 3 instead of GDAL
204.

*Create package*
python manage.py packages -o create_package -d ..\my_package

IF ERROR: ”django.db.utils.ProgrammingError: relation "graphs" does not
exist”
python manage.py makemigrations
python manage.py migrate

*Run server*