On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Sriskandarajah Suhothayan <s...@wso2.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Vijayaratha Vijayasingam
> <rat...@wso2.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi;
>> APIM team has different kind of throttling+rate limiting requirements
>> (eg:ip/timer/geo based)..As Srinath pointed we believe that CEP would be
>> the right solution, since we cannot have all these different
>> scenarios/requirements to be implemented in our throttling module..
>> Is there any possibility integrate CEP engine with our throttling module ?
>>

> Yes this is possible
> Currently you can use Siddhi directly to achieve this. In this case you
> have to pass all the events the trigger throttling directly to Siddhi and,
> when a  matching throttling condition reached CEP will fire an output back
> to APIM so that it can take action based on the CEP's response.

+1
AFAIU there are 2 options. We need CEP running out of API manager and AM or
any other server and it sends request stats to CEP. Then CEP will notify
throttle handler after some incident happens. Then throttle handler will
throttle out requests. Or we can install necessary features in AM and let
it handle inside AM. When we have multiple nodes requests hits to all
servers should take into account while doing throttling calculations.

If we consider approach 1 mentioned we might need
01. Data publisher to CEP
02. Event listener at AM to listen CEP alert
03. Need to update throttle component to work according to CEP alerts.
Also we need to replicate throttle data across all nodes when we have
clustered setup.

Next approach would be running siddhi based throttle module in each node.
In that case each server need to aware about the status of other nodes in
the cluster and do throttle calculation by considering status of all nodes.
I think CEP can handle this situation now.

Thanks,
Sanjeewa.

> With CEP 3.0.0 we are writing an Event Processor component( as of mail
> thread "CEP 3.0 towards a Complete eventing solution to the platform"),
> when that is done you will also be able to provide a proper UI for the
> users to edit Siddhi throttling queries
>

> So, all products can still use throttling module, which can handle all the
>> complex rate/thorrtling policies..
>>

> +1
>

> Suho
>

>>  Thanks

>>> +1
>>> CEP team can provide the necessary support
>>> if any of the product teams (eg: ELB, BPS, AF or AM) is willing to
>>> replace their current or have an alternate throttling module
>>>
>>> Suho

>>> --
>>> *S. Suhothayan
>>> *
>>> Software Engineer,
>>> Management Committee Member, Data Technologies Team,
>>>  *WSO2 Inc. *http://wso2.com *
>>>  <http://wso2.com/>*
>>> lean . enterprise . middleware
>>>
>>> *cell: (+94) 779 756 757 | blog: http://suhothayan.blogspot.com/
>>> twitter: http://twitter.com/suhothayan | linked-in:
>>> http://lk.linkedin.com/in/suhothayan*
>>> *
>>> *

>> -Ratha
>> mobile: (+94)755906608

> *S. Suhothayan
> *
> Associate Technical Lead,
>
> Management Committee Member, Data Technologies Team,
>  *WSO2 Inc. *http://wso2.com *
>  <http://wso2.com/>*
> lean . enterprise . middleware
>

> *cell: (+94) 779 756 757 | blog: http://suhothayan.blogspot.com/