Hi,

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Afkham Azeez <az...@wso2.com> wrote:

> There could be a situation where when a cluster message is sent, a
> member momentarily leaves the cluster, but joins immediately. This
> generally could happen when the nodes slow down under load, or due to
> intermittent network failures. However, this could lead to failures because
> crucial cluster messages may not be received by members.
>
> To overcome this, or reduce the probability of loss of such messages, we
> can replay a certain number of messages when a member joins. On the sender
> side, messages over a particular time period can be buffered, and then
> replayed when new members join. However, we should ensure that the messages
> are idempotent, and messages should declare whether they are idempotent or
> not. If a message is not idempotent, we will not replay it. All the
> messages we have at the moment are idempotent, AFAIK.
>

> How does this approach sound?

+1. IMHO it is cleaner if we can replay a sequence of cluster messages node
which originally was a member of the cluster, and then got removed (due to
a network failure, etc) and got re-joint before a certain time period. If
we replay a set of messages whenever a new member joins, isn't there a
possibility that a newly joined member is updated to a false state?

> --
> *Afkham Azeez*
> Director of Architecture; WSO2, Inc.; http://wso2.com
> * <http://www.apache.org/>**