Hi Gayan,

Please see comments inline.
On 9 Apr 2014 15:10, "Gayan Yalpathwala" <gay...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Visual data mapper currently operates by taking two avro schemas for
input and output. Considering the fact that end users are not supposed to
write avro schema by themselves, we have decided to provide a UI to
manually build the schema of input and output. This will basically extend
the current input and output boxes implementation in data-mapper editor.

> Users can build the schema from scratch and add a new element by choosing
the option provided in right click menu.

> This will pop up the following dialog asking user input for element name
and respective attributes.

> Here, Element type combo box will list all primitive types supported by
avro. Eg:- STRING, INT, DOUBLE etc.

> The element added will appear as the root node of a tree structure and
user can add more elements by choosing either "Add new child" or "Add new
sibling" options from right click menu. These two options will be available
for every element added further.

> A user can use this method to build a complete schema without having any
idea about the underlying avro schema specification.

It's true that user does not have an idea aboit builing an Avro schema. But
the user has to be familiar with  the XML terminology to use it. So it is
good for Technical users but not the Businees users. So you  need to make
sure tool is usable by a simple business user who wish to move his data in
salesforce to sap. Having all the XML terminology is not a good idea in
that case.

In the meantime you can have a look at [1] on possibility of using it for
converting XML configs to Avro. It makes the life so much easy for the
users. However for other data formats also you need a such tool.

[1]. https://github.com/Nokia/Avro-Schema-Generator

Hope this helps!

/Harshana

> Please raise and forward if you have any thoughts and concerns on design
aspects and the flow that I have mentioned.