Hi All,

I do understand that keeping the Kernal as light as possible is a good
idea. +1 to keep the UI apart from the Kernal. However we need to think
about the UI framework as well. Almost all our products have a pretty solid
admin console, and some has user facing console (AM/ES/UES etc) these
requirements need to be facilitated in the future too.

So I have few questions,

   - What is the proposal in this mail thread ?

Are we going to completely forget about a unified UI framework and let the
products build their own UIs ? IMO this is a bad idea at minimum the
platform has to have one framework so that each products can build their
own UIs for management and/or user interactions.

   - The kernel functionalities such as logging, feature management etc
   will not have a UI ?

So this means it will be either by configuration or via a cli, in that case
when its a hosted solution what is our plan ? we will have to build a UI in
that case yeah ? (not for feature management maybe but for other utilities)

   - Right now the UI is quite solid compared to other ways of
   configuration, if we are getting rid of the UI for configuration we need to
   build a better way for configuration like user-management, data source
   creation, application / artifact deployment etc.
   - The impact will be huge if we try to move everything away from a UI.

Right now almost all product functions depend on the UI, and IMO some
functions actually need the UI. So having a unified UI framework will help
each product to build their UI components, infact that was one of the great
benefits of the Carbon UI despite all its limitations.

So I think we still need a UI framework (a modern, flexible one for sure)
the decision we have to make is whether to make it a part of the Kernal or
not, and not about eliminating a UI framework.

Regards,
/Nuwan

--

*Thanks & Regards,*
* Nuwan Bandara | Senior Technical Lead - Solutions Architecture,  WSO2