Hi folks,
I am currently working on the $subject for EMM 1.1.0 release. EMM 1.0.0
used the default jaggery carbon module and internal user and group modules
to solve the UM aspect. Below are some of the issues we have -

   - ​Coupling to the email
   - ​Roles creation is ambiguous (for example not write access to the User
   store)
   - User creation (no write access to User store)
   - Not supporting secondary User store
   - XACML usage

​The new UserModule aims to solve the above problems. There will be a
config file that has configs whether to enable internal role and user
creation. If enabled and write access is not provided - we create users and
roles internally. If disabled we will remove those elements from UI and
disable operations from the API. The new UserModule will always pass the
carbon user object [1]. All the static operations that will be used will be
under the UserModule.

The new UserModule will remove XACML for permission. Even though we used
XACML for permissions on operations in the last version (1.0.0) we didn't
see a real advantage of it for the features we had. For 1.1.0 we discussed
to remove XACML and use a database table to handle permissions for roles.
However -we'll be incorporating XACML in the future releases (1.2.0
perhaps) and will be giving the real advantage of it (eg:- time based
permissions, write your own XACML in EMM UI).

Cheers~

​[1] -
https://github.com/wso2/jaggery-extensions/blob/master/carbon/module/scripts/user/user.js
​