I'm not really fond of having a predefined schema for application type xml.
reasons:
 1) in my opinion is too early to figure out what should be in the schema
given that we don't have lot of apptypes (or identified what we will
support in future)
 2) I like to draw an example from Apache Ant. Correct me if im wrong but
they purposely don't have a schema to validate tags in build.xml file. why
? because they if they do they can't introduce any ant tasks/types with out
changing the schema. (- it becomes a bottleneck - and brings a lot of
backward compatibility issues).

What do you guys think?

@Punnadhi: BTW is it possible to have un-Marshal xml if the xml document
contains UN-recognized tags?