Hi there,

*1. About the size of deployments.*

It depends on your use case... specially when you combine spark with a
datastore. We use to deploy spark with cassandra or mongodb, instead of
using HDFS for example.

Spark will be faster if you put the data in memory, so if you need a lot of
speed (interactive queries, for example), you should have enough memory.

*2. About storage handlers.*

We have developed the first tight integration between Cassandra and Spark,
called Stratio Deep, announced in the first spark summit. You can check
Stratio Deep out here: https://github.com/Stratio/stratio-deep (open,
apache2 license).

*Deep is a thin integration layer between Apache Spark and several NoSQL
datastores. We actually support Apache Cassandra and MongoDB, but in the
near future we will add support for sever other datastores.*

Datastax have announce its own driver for spark in the last spark summit,
but we have been working in our solution for almost a year.

Furthermore, we are working to extend this solution in order to
work also with other databases... MongoDB integration is completed right
now and ElasticSearch will be ready in a few weeks.

And that is not all, we have also developed an integration with Cassandra
and Lucene for indexing data (open source, apache2).

*Stratio Cassandra is a fork of Apache Cassandra
<http://cassandra.apache.org/> where index functionality has been extended
to provide near real time search such as ElasticSearch or Solr,
including full text search
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_text_search> capabilities and free
multivariable search. It is achieved through an Apache Lucene
<http://lucene.apache.org/> based implementation of Cassandra secondary
indexes, where each node of the cluster indexes its own data.*

We will publish some benchmarks in two weeks, so i will share our results
here if you are interested.

If you are more interested in distributed file systems, you should take a
look on Tachyon: http://tachyon-project.org/index.html

*3. Spark - Hive compatibility*

Spark will support anything with the Hadoop InputFormat interface.

*4. Performance*

We are working a lot with Cassandra and mongoDB and the performance is
quite nice. We are finishing right now some benchmarks comparing Hadoop +
HDFS vs Spark + HDFS vs Spark + Cassandra (using stratio deep and even our
fork of Cassandra).

Let me please share this results with you when they were ready, ok?

Regards.