Hi Srinath,

I think that example is a bit flawed :) .. I didn't mean to compare
Cassandra with the HDFS case here, I know Cassandra is far more complicated
than the HDFS operations, where the data operations in HDFS is very simple,
and I've a feeling, that with that much small events, it may have turned
into an CPU bound operation rather than I/O bound, because of the
processing required for each event (maybe their batch impl. is crappy),
that maybe why even the bigger batch is also slow. OS level buffers you
said, yeah, so they efficiently batch the physical disk writes, in the
memory, and flush it out later. But that's a different thing, here, we are
just writing to the disk and reading it back again, so as I see, we are
just using the local disk as a buffer, where we could just do this in the
RAM. Basically, build up sizable chunks in memory, and write to HDFS. So we
lose the, even though comparably little, overhead of writing and reading to
the local disk, where still, the bottleneck would be writing the data out
of the network, to a remote server's disk somewhere. Simply put, this
direct HDFS operation should be able to saturate the network link we have,
even if we can't, we can ask ourself, how can writing it to the local disk
and reading it again, optimize it more.

Cheers,
Anjana.