We had initial discussions regarding this feature last year and
implementation got defered due to other priorities. You can refer to [1],
[2] and [3] mail threads for more information.

[1] Generic workflow executor across the platform
[2] [Architecture][ES] Workfow Extension Model
[3] [ES] Workflow extensions support - Approval task pages or app ?

Thanks,
Tanya

--
Tanya Madurapperuma