Hi all,

Given our plans to release MB 3.5.0 based on Carbon 5, Akalanka and I have
been looking into the JAAS based authentication framework ongoing at repo
[1].

As per our discussion with Thanuja, Omindu and Yasiru, excluding the REST
services security exposed to the UI console, the current carbon-security
implementation is lacking the following requirements in terms of MB
behavior :

   1.

   The current login implementation is based on an HTTP request where the
   request is passed across the login implementation whereas MB has JMS/ MQTT
   protocol messages containing the login information.

   1.

   MB has the requirement to grant/ validate permissions to dynamically
   created queues/topic trees that are generated.

   1.

   MB needs to validate permissions for these created queues and topic
   across the cluster which require a centralized storage mechanism (e.g.
   RDBMS) for the permissions.

More information on MB authorization requirements can be found at mail [2].

Given this situation, should we generalize the authentication mechanism to
be pluggable with transports other than HTTP ? Or consider JMS / MQTT as an
exception ?

Thanks

[1] :
https://github.com/wso2/carbon-kernel/tree/hamming-release-poc/modules/carbon-security

<https://github.com/wso2/carbon-kernel/tree/hamming-release-poc/modules/carbon-security>
[2] : [Mail] "Message Broker topic level security"

--
Cheers,

Hasitha Amal De Silva
Software Engineer