Hi All,

Audit logs or Audit trails contain set of log entries which describe a
sequence of actions which have occurred over a time period. From audit
logs, it is possible to trace all the actions of a single user or all the
actions or changes introduced to a certain module in the system etc.  E.g.
It captures all the actions of a single user from the point he logs in to
the application.

In previous versions of the Carbon platform, we only had a logger called
AUDIT and a separate appender which appends audit logs to separate log
file.

The only drawback of this approach is that we don't have a proper way to
capture contextual information. In each and every audit log, we need to
capture logged in user details, IP address of client etc. In the previous
approach developers have to log this information with each and every audit
log attempt. This is suboptimal IMO, we need to implement a mechanism where
developers gives only the log message and system should append all the
other information to the log. I see few ways to implement this.

1) Write a custom appender which write audit logs to the file with
contextual information.
2) Provide API to log audit logs. We can extract contextual information
from the CarbonContext in both of these methods.

Any thoughts.

Thanks,
Sameera.

--