On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 10:30 PM, Indunil Upeksha Rathnayake <
indu...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am working on implementing regeneration of client secret/key of an oauth
> app and revocation of an oauth app for the next milestone release of
> Identity Server. Appreciate your feedbacks on the following approaches I
> have taken.
>
> A trusted client would need to update the client secret/key, in order to
> prevent the abuse of revealed client secret/key. So for addressing that, I
> am working on adding two options as *Regenerate Client Secret *and *Regenerate
> Consumer Key* for oauth applications in IS. After a client secret/key get
> regenerated, that will immediately invalidate any active authorization
> code, access token or refresh token, issued to the respective client.
>
> *Will it be necessary to add two options for revoking client secret and
> key or better to go for a different approach?*

I guess (as discussed in this thread already) - having the ability to
change the consumer secret would be enough. Changing the consumer key is
bit challanging too - we would have all the analytics data against the
consumer key.

Also - consumer key is not something - someone would remember and use - so
I don't think its same as the username - so I don't see any need to change
it.

> And apart from that planning for the implementation of *Revoking an oauth
> app*. In there the oauth app will be revoked and that also will
> immediately invalidate any active authorization code, access token or
> refresh token, issued to the respective client. In order to activate the
> oauth app again, need to regenerate the client secret.
>

> *In there to activate the app, better to regenerate "both client key and
> secret" or "either client key or secret"?*

Revoking an app means - mostly the revoking of its consumer secret (the
previous scenario).

Another couple of use cases we can address with this:

1. Blocking an app temporary - Deactivate the App - and the Activate it
after sometime - nothing to do with the consumer secret revocation.

2. Ability to revoke an access token (s) issued on behalf of a user for a
particular app.

3. Ability to revoke all the access tokens issued on behalf of a user
across all the apps.

Thanks & regards,
-Prabath

> Really value your ideas/suggestions on improving this feature.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> --
> Indunil Upeksha Rathnayake
> Software Engineer | WSO2 Inc