The same issue with Hazelcast can be experienced with ESB inbounds (running
on top of NTASK) and VFS distribution locks.

The idea of only single worker works at a given time breaks if there is a
Hazelcast heart beat fails. This will make two workers to work in parallel.

Also with distributed locking there is no guarantee that file is only
process only by one worker.

So in the case of network fail
​ with DB​
make sense to stop processing until it's recovered.
​ Also making this component generic ESB can reuse.​

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Asitha Nanayakkara <asi...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Imesh,
>
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 7:33 AM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@wso2.com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 7:31 AM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@wso2.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> You can see here [3] how K8S has implemented leader election feature for
>>> the products deployed on top of that to utilize.
>>>

>> ​Correction: Please refer [4].​

>>> ​Are you saying that database connections do not use the same network
>>> used by Hazelcast?
>>> ​

>>> ​I do not think your argument is correct. If there is a problem with the
>>> network, i​t may apply to both Hazelcast based solution and database based
>>> solution.
>>>

> Yes, if the same network interface is used network partion will cause all
> types of connections to be partitioned. But user can use multiple network
> interfaces for database, Hazelcast and thrift.
>
> Following is the scenario we are trying to solve in MB.
>
> In MB all the details related to messages, subscriptions, queues, topics
> etc are stored in database. And we operate depending on that information.
> If the MB node can't connect to the database that means the node is
> ineffective in the cluster until it can make a database connection.
>
> We have seen instances where Hazelcast cluster get partitioned for some
> time period in networks, Reasons were,
>
>    1. Due to heavy load Hazelcast couldn't process or send (some times
>    both) hearbeats, hence a network partition for Hazelcast cluster
>    2. An actual network partition of Hazelcast cluster
>
> In both scenarios the database connection was working. In that case we get
> two coordinators elected through Hazelcast and working on the same database
> to deliver the messages. this leads to inconsistencies in the cluster
> behavior (for instances duplicate message delivery, corrupred subscription
> states etc) .
>
> Since the point of interest for MB is the database, we decided to do the
> coordinator election through database as well. If the node can't connect to
> the database, then the MB won't operate anyway.

> [...]

Best Regards,

Malaka Silva
Senior Technical Lead
M: +94 777 219 791
Tel : 94 11 214 5345
Fax :94 11 2145300
Skype : malaka.sampath.silva
LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/pub/malaka-silva/6/33/77
Blog : http://mrmalakasilva.blogspot.com/

WSO2, Inc.
lean . enterprise . middleware
https://wso2.com/signature
http://www.wso2.com/about/team/malaka-silva/
<http://wso2.com/about/team/malaka-silva/>
https://store.wso2.com/store/

Don't make Trees rare, we should keep them with care