On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Irunika Weeraratne <irun...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> Hi Lakshman,
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 2:57 PM, Lakshman Udayakantha <lakshm...@wso2.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I think you don't have to specially implement authentication mechanism
>> for web socket protocol. According to the spec[1], websocket doesn't
>> provide a way to authenticate clients. You can use any other mechanism with
>> HTTPS or HTTP etc. to authenticate the server.
>>
>> This protocol doesn't prescribe any particular way that servers can
>> authenticate clients during the WebSocket handshake.  The WebSocket server
>> can use any client authentication mechanism available to a generic HTTP
>> server,
>>
>> such as cookies, HTTP authentication, or TLS authentication.
>>

>>  [1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6455
>>

> Yes. They are not providing a mechanism and I'm trying to reuse the
> existing authentication mechanisms for Microservices in MSF4J.
> Most probably it will work since there is no any difference between a HTTP
> request and WebSocket Upgrade Request. Now I'm working on it.

Java API for WS spec does not define any specific security mechanisms
instead it recommend to reuse Web container security model and HTTP
security for authentication,  please refer following 2 posts[1][2] based on
Tyrus.

[1] - http://ssagara.blogspot.com/2014/07/websocket-security-patterns.html
[2] -
http://ssagara.blogspot.com/2014/08/secure-java-websocket-endpoints.html

Thanks !

> Thanks,
> Irunika
> *Irunika Weeraratne*
> *Software Engineer | WSO2, Inc. <http://wso2.com/>*
> *Email : irun...@wso2.com <irun...@wso2.com>*
> *LinkedIn : https://lk.linkedin.com/in/irunika
> <https://lk.linkedin.com/in/irunika>*
> *Mobile : +94712403314 <+94%2071%20240%203314>*
> *Lean . Enterprise . Middleware*

Sagara Gunathunga

Associate Director / Architect; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com
V.P Apache Web Services;    http://ws.apache.org/