On 15 May 2017 at 14:41, Nuwan Dias <nuw...@wso2.com> wrote:

> What is the benefit of using operationId instead of the resource path? In
> the current Swagger we do not have operationIds defined right?

Since it will be just a string, it is less error prone than defining the
resource path and also even when the resource path is changed in a major
release, we can keep the operationId unchanged. Yeah, we don't have them
defined right now.

If we introduce operationIds just for this use case, as developers we need
> to spend time thinking of operationIds per resource, make sure we don't
> duplicate operationIds and more importantly never change operationIds in
> newer versions :).

Through swagger validation we can ensure is is not duplicated. However, as
you said we don't have a way to ensure no one changes them in new releases.

To me at least something in the form of [http_method] [path] [scope], ex:
> POST /apis foo, is more natural than artificially built operationIds. So
> unless there's a huge benefit in using operationIds vs resource paths, I
> think we should just stick to the resource paths.

If we use operationIds, they should be self descriptive and not just unique
strings. However, I am ok with the resource path. It is just that I think
defining operationId will be more easier for the users.