Hi Wishmitha,

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Wishmitha Mendis <wishmi...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> Hi Asanka,
>
> 1. We can initially use a Network File System as you mentioned for HA.
> However data replication in LevelDB is used in ActiveMQ replicated store.
> [1]

Then It is better to run the performance test with a NFS to really compare
the results.

> 2. Yes, the iterator should traverse all the related keys to get message
> data. This is why the key schema is designed in a such way that all the
> messages in a queue are stored successively to reduce the traversing time.
> And as you said it is much more complex than the RDBMS as the data cannot
> be retrieved by simply executing a query. However, LevelDB can still
> provide much faster data retrieval rates than RDBMS due to its high
> performances. Hence, even though the data retrieving operation is complex,
> it is not a much of an overhead when it comes to overall performances.

What happens if we have lot of messages for a queue/queues which is stored
before the interested queue. Shouldn't we traverse until we find the
interested queue. If my understanding is correct that will result in
consuming a considerable amount of resources (CPU, bancdwith, etc). RDBMS
get around this by maintaining indexes. Do we have something similar in
leveldb?

> (Additional : Most of the RDBMS engines use file based stores underneath.
> As an example, LevelDB is used as a database engine in MariaDB. [2] Hence,
> even when executing a query in RDBMS, these kind of traversing operations
> may occur underneath.)
>
> 3. Data cannot be inserted while traversing. Actually traversing through
> the keys is done by an iterator which should be eventually closed after the
> operation is completed. A sample code is represented below. [3]
>
> DBIterator iterator = db.iterator();
> try {
>   for(iterator.seekToFirst(); iterator.hasNext(); iterator.next()) {
>     String key = asString(iterator.peekNext().getKey());
>     String value = asString(iterator.peekNext().getValue());
>     System.out.println(key+" = "+value);
>   }
> } finally {
>   // Make sure you close the iterator to avoid resource leaks.
>   iterator.close();
> }
>
> These iterators are mainly used in methods such as getMetaDataList() and
> deleteMessages() in the implementation. The iterator should be closed in
> those methods, as displayed in the above code.

Isn't that a bottleneck when there are concurrent consumers and publishers?
Data writing threads will have to wait until the data reading thread is
done which can result in lower performance numbers when there are multiple
queues with multiple consumers and publishers.

> 4. Yes this will be a performance limitation. The throughput get
> reasonably low when publishing/retrieving messages in multi-threaded
> environment. Even though LevelDB is capable of providing higher throughput
> than RDBMS even in a multi-threaded environment according to the test
> results, that can be a bottleneck in concurrent access of DB. Main purpose
> of this PoC is actually develop a generic key schema, so that we can switch
> between and select the optimal file based store for the message broker.
>
> 5. LevelDB does not have an inbuilt transaction support. Therefore
> transactions should implemented as a external layer within the application.
> Currently I am working on this and exploring how the transactions are
> implemented in ActiveMQ LevelDB store. [4] I will post a separate thread on
> LevelDB transactions.

Maybe before implementing a transaction layer, we should do a proper
performance test and decide on the path forward.

WDYT?