On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Ishara Karunarathna <isha...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> HI,
>
> On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 12:55 AM, Johann Nallathamby <joh...@wso2.com>
> wrote:
>
>> IAM Team,
>>
>> Currently we don't have a exclusive permission to login to the user
>> portal; we use "/permission/admin/login". I think we need to have a
>> dedicated permission for that. Why?
>>
>> 1. No way to allow users to login to user portal but restrict users from
>> logging in to management console.
>>
>> 2. We could give this new permission to "INTERNAL/everyone" role. So that
>> any new users added to the system, via admin console, SCIM, Self sign-up or
>> JIT provisioning, will be able to login to the user portal. If we don't
>> want that we can simply take off that permission from the
>> "INTERNAL/everyone" role.
>>
>> I could think of further improving 2 above, by having separate roles for
>> each of the following scenarios.
>>     a) Admin created users (Resident SP) - one role for all
>>     b) JIT provisioned users - one role per IdP
>>     c) Self signup users - we already have "selfsignup" role from IS
>> 5.3.0 onwards.
>>     d) External service provider created users via SCIM - one role per SP
>> All the above roles can have the new permission, and selectively taken
>> off if not needed. In addition we can use these roles to manage permissions
>> for these well known groups of users who came from the same source.
>>
>> I stumbled upon this issue when I was trying to do "Email verification
>> and password request" scenario. Once I click the link in the email that was
>> sent to my inbox, and confirm, and update my new password and confirm it, I
>> was sent to the user portal to login. But since I didn't have the required
>> authorization setup I failed to login. Bit of a bad user experience there.
>>
>> Shall we try to introduce a new permission for user portal and give it by
>> default to "INTERNAL/everyone" for IS 5.4.0?
>>
> -1 for giving permission to  "INTERNAL/everyone"
> INTERNAL/everyone is a virtual Role that used to represent all users. for
> example all the federated users also considered as users in
> INTERNAL/everyone Role.
>
> Yes, me too -1 for using "INTERNAL/everyone" for this.

> But agree with johan for having different permission for dashboard login.
> And better if system admin do it manually.

I don't think this should be a manual task, because it will be tedious. IMO
there should be a separate dedicated role to access the Dashboard with the
new permission as mentioned by Johann - like the Subscriber role in AM -
and in the user provisioning points, new users should be automatically
added to that role depending on some configuration done by the admin.

> And there is another concern with the permission, from the dashboard we
> are invoking several admin services  so those services also should work
> with this new permission.
>
> Thanks,
> Ishara
>

>> Thanks & Regards,
>> Johann.
>>
>> --
>>
>> *Johann Dilantha Nallathamby*
>> Senior Lead Solutions Engineer
>> WSO2, Inc.
>> lean.enterprise.middleware
>>
>> Mobile - *+94777776950*
>> Blog - *http://nallaa.wordpress.com <http://nallaa.wordpress.com>*
>>

> --
> Ishara Karunarathna
> Associate Technical Lead
> WSO2 Inc. - lean . enterprise . middleware |  wso2.com
>
> email: isha...@wso2.com,   blog: isharaaruna.blogspot.com,   mobile:
> +94717996791 <071%20799%206791>

Thanks & Regards,
Dulanja Liyanage