I guess following scenario will be useful in a microservices deployment,
when we need to secure service to service communication.

Please find below the steps..

1. We create a service provider provider, and associate a CA's certificate
with it.
2. Now we have multiple microservices, each with a signed certificate from
the previous trusted CA.
3. Each of those microservice will be able to talk to the /token endpoint
of IS (or STS), authenticate with mTLS and get a token. The token request
also carries an audience value (or implied in scope).
4. IS treats, the thumbprint of the cert (preferably SVID, in a
SPIFFE/Istio environment) as the client id, and the access token is issued
against it (which can be a JWT as well).
5. This new access token/JWT can be used for service to service
authentication, within the same domain or cross domain.

This helps to onboard all the microservices, carrying a key pair (as their
workload identity) to an OAuth environment.

WDYT..?

Thanks & Regards,
Prabath

Twitter : @prabath