Also a related to question to this:
The latest version of IS supports service provider wise certificate
uploading for mutual TLS authentication and private key JWT authentication.
So I guess if APIM uses that feature internally to manage the mapping
between OAuth2 client and certificates, throttling and analytics will work
seamlessly even without the need of OAuth2 access tokens.

Again currently I think the story is a little disconnected between IS and
API Manager. We need to revisit the full story here and fill the gaps.
1. What IS have implemented is mutual TLS and private key JWT
authentication for token endpoint, which is what it hosts.
2. API Manager has to implement securing APIs with mutual TLS and private
key JWT.
3. Both will internally use the IS service provider certificate mapping
feature of IS.

Then the full story is complete I suppose.

Any thoughts?

[1] "[Architecture] OAuth clients based on a trusted CA" in
architecture@wso2.org

Thanks & Regards,
Johann.