Hi,

Backend latency, round trip time is the major factor in each of the
integrations. If it is taking more than the expected time to respond, there
are many problems we are facing in production deployments. It is leading to
- memory growths
- cpu growths
- system failures.

As of today, when it comes to troubleshooting these production systems, A
major fact we need to collect is "How long it took a backend to respond to
WSO2 server". At the moment, only out of the box configurable feature we
have for this is , Observability. [1] .

You may have noticed following note on the document.

Note

Observability is not enabled by default as it slightly impacts WSO2 API
Manager's performance.

If we are troubleshooting a single API failure, We should be able to
troubleshoot without affecting other APIs. But if we enable observability,
It is affecting the entire environment.
More specifically, Customers are reluctant to enable it in production, due
to performance hit.

However, There are many other cases, where we have to find only the backend
latency to troubleshoot issues and isolate. So, if we are trying to use
observability for finding backend latency, It is an overkill.

So, If we can implement a way to measure backend latency
- For all APIs with specific to each of them
- For a given api only
- For all proxies/endpoint/connector etc  with specific to each of them
- For a given proxy/endpoint/connector etc only

*without restarting the server*, That would add a huge advantage for
customers, customer-success teams, every one when it comes to production
deployment.

So, Can we implement this kind of feature for upcoming releases of APIM and
EI?

[1]
https://apim.docs.wso2.com/en/latest/administer/logging-and-monitoring/monitoring/working-with-observability/#working-with-observability

Thanks