I allready noticed this no-update-check issue on 0.9 in MRM-320, but maybe I
wasn't clear as it was closed as "won't fix".

I'm looking for a clean way to pre-process the DAV request before proxies
connectors get fetched. This could include the legacy -> default (or any
other) request path layout conversion. For now, the only way I've found is
to add some code in ProxiedDavServer.

Could ArtifactReference, VersionedReference and ProjectReference share an
ancestor so that we can refactor BidirectionalRepositoryLayout to only
provide toReference(path) and toPath(Reference) ? This would avoid having
similar try/catch 3 times.