I have done exactly that - several times - usually to verify that
changes I've made in Archiva haven't screwed something up - and a couple
times because something I downloaded caused maven to choke and do
nothing.

   However, I also do have problems with snapshot plugins when doing a
'mvn -U' or a 'mvn clean'.  I assume I am missing a reference to a
snapshot repo somewhere, or that the exclusion of snapshots on my
Archiva 'internal' repo blocks them.

--CB