Santa Clause Meets the Good Samaritan   "If you bring forth what is within you,
what you bring forth will save you. If you fail to bring forth what is within
you, what you fail to bring forth will destroy you." ~ Jesus     Living in the
Sacred Stream A new theme in Ordinary Life Read More     Ordinary Life summary
for the week of September 8, 2024 Dear Ones - Promotion to the wider community
of the Jacqui Lewis event will begin this week. So, if you want to be assured
of a place for the afternoon time with her, I encourage you to register now.
You may do so by clicking here. I have neglected to mention that there will be
child care provided during the afternoon time as well, of course, as on Sunday
morning. Also, I expect the space where we meet to be completely full this
coming Sunday for the time when Rep. James Talarico and Rep. Ann Johnson will
be in dialogue with Dr. Jeff McDonald about “Faith and Politics.” I mention
this to encourage you to be on time. I called the teaching I offered this week
- Santa Claus Meets The Good Samaritan (and friends) I began the time by
affirming that “our image of ‘God’” - and we all have one - “shapes who we
are.” Our image of “God” is shaped, until we take conscious control of the
matter, by the “tribe/culture” into which we are born. We all live by myths,
whether we are aware of them or not. Santa Claus is a myth that grew out of the
St. Nicholas of Bari story. Wise and useful myths create a livable and
meaningful world for ourselves and others. A parable, on the other hand, seeks
to re-create destructive and unwise myths. Both the parables of “The Good
Samaritan” and “the two men who went up to the temple to pray” illustrate this.
That’s a very brief summary of this week’s time in Ordinary Life. The
audio/video versions of the talk has some differences from the text I had in
front of me. You can read the text below. You can view the presentation slides
and find links to audio and video versions of the talk by going to the Ordinary
Life website. Our podcast, “In Between,” can be accessed through the Ordinary
Life web site. If you are interested in making a contribution to Ordinary Life,
click here. There is an option to scroll to “Ordinary Life” as the option for
how to designation your gift. Thank you! IMPORTANT NOTICE: Ordinary Life is
exploring new ways to foster community, connection, service, and care in our
community. To that end, we are launching a monthly community newsletter that
will highlight announcements, events, and joys/concerns. If you are interested
in receiving this newsletter, please visit this link to add your name to the
list. Rest assured that whether you opt-in to this newsletter or not, you will
continue to receive the weekly class previews and summaries for Ordinary Life.
St Paul’s is beginning a “Stephen Ministry” program. Stephen Ministry is a
caring ministry that equips and empowers trained lay car givers to provide
one-on0one care to those going through difficult times such as grief, divorce,
job loss, illness, relocation, and other life-changing circumstances. For more
information on how to receive care or serve as a Stephen Minister, contact Rev.
Melinda Owens at mow...@stpaulshouston.org  Be well and much love, Bill Kerley
To view slides and hear the complete audio, click the button below. Slides +
Audio   Santa Claus Meets the Good Samaritan Your image of God creates you. Or,
your image of God defeats you; I was tempted to use the word “destroy.” There
is, the atheists among you will not like this, an absolute connection between
what you think/experience about “God” and how you see not only yourself but the
entire she-bang. This is why good theology and solid spiritual practice can
make such a difference in how we live our daily lives. Theology - the word
literally means “words about God” - can build a wise, useful, beautiful world;
or, it can be used to denigrate, separate, and harm - not only the human
community but the entire world. Most people’s operative understanding of God is
something they got from their tribe, usually, parents and the culture. There is
what Robert Bellah, he coined the phrase, a “civil religion” that we all soak
up. I suppose it is in every culture. It is certainly in ours. One example is
how the president or leading politicians end every speech they give: “And, God
bless our troops.” Or, “God, bless Americans.” In doing so what are they asking
us to believe? My father belonged to a service club called “The Rotary Club.”
(I don’t think service clubs play the part in our culture that they once did.)
When I would go with him to a Rotary Club meeting, they all began with a prayer
AND a pledge of allegiance to the American Flag. I’ve learned this is a common
practice to this day among both service clubs and some business group.
Ostensibly we are asking “God” to “bless” our undertakings when such prayers
are offered. I have come to think, and this is recent, that we best be very
careful in how we use the word “blessed.” As a therapist and spiritual
director, I have been privileged to hear hundreds of stories, mostly from men,
about their lives before we began sitting together. More often than not, after
learning of the path that got them to where they now are, I have thought, and
sometimes said, “You are lucky not to be living under the Pearce elevated.” I
have thought and sometimes said, “You are so blessed.” I have certainly felt
that way about my own life. I can look back over some of my journey, things I
done, habits I’ve indulged in, relationships I have been in, and been able
honestly to say, “It’s a miracle I survived that.” Any recovering alcoholic
will tell you, “It is a miracle I survived my drinking habit.” That’s being
blessed. And, we say “blessed” about all other sorts of things. About the car
that didn’t hit us, that the diagnosis didn’t turn out to be fatal, that we
weren’t among those who were laid off, and so forth. But, what about the child
who was hit by the car, the diagnosis that turns out to be terminal, the person
who did lose their job along with all the other losses that one entails? Were
they blessed? There are some words of Carl Jung that I trot out from time to
time. They are these: “Among all my patients in the second half of life - that
is to say, over thirty-five - there has not been one whose problem in the last
resort was not that of finding a religious outlook on life.” - Carl Jung Though
I could not have said it when I began the journey, I can look back and see now
that I have devoted my life to an effort to attempting to understand what this
“religious solution to life’s dilemma” is. This work is called “theology.” When
we consciously enter “the Sacred Stream” we leave the shore. That is, put
behind us childish things and using the information from the sources I
mentioned last week - scripture, tradition, reason, experience, and science,
art, culture, and technology - we do the work required to do to receive the
grace that allows us to grow into the people we were created to be. By the way,
this is all reflected in one’s political worldview. Good theology makes for
good politics and just social relationship. Bad theology fuels hatred and
division. (There is no hate like “Christian Love.”) Last week we talked about
epistemology and hermeneutics. Or, how do we know what we think we know - all
knowing is always provisional in an evolving cosmos - and how do we interpret
what we know? Let me offer you a way of interpreting, not the only one but I
believe a wise and useful one, for hearing a passage from the Bible (or from
any religious writing) or a teaching from your religious tradition: If you
read, see, or hear of God operating at a lesser level than the best person you
know, then reject it. God is love. This is a foundational hermeneutic that, had
it been used in the past five hundred years, would have ensured a much more
positive history and if used today would create more exciting possibilities.
For example, as I mentioned last week, there are passages in the Hebrew
Scripture where God presumably tells the Israelites to kill every Canaanite in
sight - men, women, and children. Then God calls for all the Israelites to
enter, burn, and destroy everything in sight. There things about this passage,
and others like it, that were explicitly used by Christians to justify taking
lands away from the native people who already occupied this land. If you look
at this behavior from the Canaanites’ point of view or the indigenous people of
this land, this God is not your friend. Based on the hermeneutic I am
suggesting, it is clear that this message of destruction comes from a God
created in people’s own image not from people who have allowed God to recreate
them in God’s image. Some say, “Well, it’s in the Bible” as if that makes it
true and right. This is why theology is so important. How a person deals with
sacred texts is how that person deals with reality in general and how you deal
with reality in general is how you deal with sacred texts. At the risk or
sounding arrogant, the fact is that it takes a certain amount of psychological
and spirituality maturity to interpret scripture. Vengeful, petty people can
find vengeful, hateful texts. In short, and this is a line I got from Richard
Rohr, “only love can handle big truth.” All of this is introduction to the
topic I want to teach about today - the role of myth and parable in good
theology. Or, as I am calling it, Santa Claus Meets The Good Samaritan (and
friends). Let’s begin with Santa. There is a poem that critics say contains the
best-known verses ever written by an American author. The poem begins, “’Twas
the night before Christmas and . . .” This poem, along with an advertising
campaign by Coke Cola, is largely responsible for the conception of Santa Claus
by most Americans from the mid-19th century until today. Before the advent and
popularity of this poem, American ideas about St. Nicholas and gift giving
varied widely. You know the poem. On the night of Christmas Eve, a family is
settling down to sleep when the father is awakened by noises outside. Looking
out the window, he sees Santa Claus in a sleigh being pulled by eight reindeer.
After landing his sleigh on the roof, Santa gets down the chimney with a sack
of toys which he delivers and also fills stockings with gifts. After this,
Santa bounds up the chimney and flies away calling out as he does so, “Happy
Christmas to all, and to all a good night.” This poem became the basis of
movies and music, including musicals, and a staple of this culture’s religion -
consumerism. Christmas is the only holiday in our calendar that is both a
religious and a federal holiday. The visual image most people have of Santa
Claus comes from a commercial by Coke Cola of a jolly old white man. The actual
human on which this story is based was a dark skinned middle-eastern man. Jesus
also was not a white person but a dark skinned middle-eastern man. Yes, there
was a real person whose name was Nicholas behind the Santa Claus myth. Nicholas
was born in 270 and died in 343. (For those of you, like me, not quick at math,
he was seventy-three.) This Nicholas was actually a major player in the
movement that would come to be called Christianity. He was, for example, a key
figure in the Council of Nicaea. Many stories grew up about this Nicholas. None
of them is actually factual in the sense that we think of “factual.” They are
stories of his work among his parishioners who came to love him dearly. They
are stories about his generosity and kindness. The story that is beneath the
Santa Claus story is that once there were three poor girls - notice that in all
myths, fairly tales, and good jokes - there is the sequence of three: three
blind mice, three wise men, three little pigs, Jesus is three days in the tomb,
a minister/priest/rabbi walk into a bar, and on and on - at any rate, there
were these three poor girls who were unable to have the resources to be
eligible for marriage. That is, they lacked a dowry. So, one night Nicholas
threw three bags of coins through a window of their home. Whether that actually
happened or not, what we do know is that the actual Nicholas was, and is,
remembered for three things: his generosity, his kindness, and his compassion.
Nicholas became a bishop of the church in Turkey. He was originally known as
Nicholas of Myra. After his death, he was entombed there until God told some
good Catholics in Bari, Italy to go and raid the tomb and bring his bones and
entomb them in Italy. The raid was only partially successful so that today some
of good old St. Nick’s bones are in Turkey and some are in Italy. Actually, as
the result of another raid the some bones are also now in Venice. Recent DNA
analysis does in fact show that the bones are from the same deceased body. Why
God ordered people to become grave robbers has not been established. I have to
be careful here because, as a Seven on the Enneagram, I am prone to excess and
since I have actually been to Bari, Italy and gotten within an arm’s length of
St. Nick’s bones, I could go on. Pam Rowe, her sister Sharon, Sherry and I -
along with a group of others - joined one of Peter Sills’ pilgrimage trips, his
last actually, and went to Bari and were there on the day of the St. Nicholas
Festival, in 2016. If you put together New Year’s Eve in Time’s Square and Madi
Gras in New Orleans and stretch them out over a three day period, you will have
some idea of what this festival is like. It is a combination of raucous
parties, street parades that are awesome, lights and fireworks, and high church
solemnity. Weeks of parties, services, and other festivities lead up to these
three day. Everybody in Italy seemed packed into the cathedral for the high,
holy closing liturgy. The story about Santa Claus and the stories that
developed about the actual Nicholas, are myths. The word “myth” scares a lot of
people. When it is used to refer to the birth of Jesus or to the resurrection
stories, the responses are something like a very challenging, “You meant to say
you think that didn’t actually happen?” (Sometimes the words “you heretic” are
said but always implied.) There was a time when I, like you, took the Santa
Claus story literally, as factual. When I was five or six, Santa brought me a
puppy for Christmas, a cocker spaniel. When I was a bit older, he brought me a
new Schwinn bicycle - it was blue. To this very day it is a custom in our
family to tag some Christmas gifts as being “from Santa.” Then, I endured the
inevitable disappoint of learning that the Santa story was not literally true.
At this point in human intellectual and psychological development one chooses
to stay stuck in disappointment, move to the next level of understanding, or go
back to a childish position. Only when it comes to religion does it seem that
some people, some who are capable to gaining advanced degrees in other areas of
endeavor, decide to go back to a literal level of understanding. (This is why a
few weeks ago we devoted the entirety of this time to “putting away childish
things.”) When Jesus said that we should “become as children,” he didn’t mean
we should become “childish.” One of the things children know how to do is play.
When you go to the Alley Theater, what you see enacted on the stage is called
“a play.” It is a story, fictional, that we are invited to enter into and be
entertained by. Or, informed. Or, transformed. One of the things that is true
about children is that they love stories. I never had one of my children, when
they were children, or one of my grandchildren, say to me, “Tell me some
facts.” It was always, “Tell me a story.” And, more often than not they wanted
a story they had heard countless times. Stories are inherently interesting,
captivating even. You graciously tolerate most of the content I offer in here
but the moment I shift into telling a story the mood and attention of and in
the room shifts. Good stores entertain, involve, inform, and motivate. A good
story-teller can transport us into a different world without our having to
leave our seats. I am told that Native American story tellers would begin one
of their mythic tales by saying, “I don’t know if this really happened or not,
but I know it is true.” So the story-teller would tell of Sky Woman who fell
from the sky and created a place called Turtle Island where corn, squash and
peas grew from her, as well as living things like humans, animals and other
plant life, and so began the earth. It’s a myth. Something actually happened
and the myth attempts to capture it. As far back as anthropologists and
historians can go, they say that the species that became humans had two ways to
communicate what they knew and what it meant. (Remember: epistemology and
hermeneutics?) These two ways these scholars called “mythos” and “logos.” Both
were essential in “getting at” the truth. Each had its own area of competence.
“Myth” was regarded as primary. Myth was concerned with what was thought to be
timeless and constant. Myth looked back to the origins of life, the foundations
of culture, to the deepest level of the human mind. Myth was not concerned with
practical matters. Myth was about meaning. This is why you are in this space
today. It is why I teach. We seek meaning. Failing to be working to construct a
personally meaningfully answer to the “why am I here?” question, opens one to
fall into habits of superficial living. Two of the resources I regularly
recommend to people who are interested in exploring this area are both by Jim
Hollis: Finding Meaning in the Second Half of Life and Living the Examined
Life. (That second one is a great resource for getting started on a daily
spiritual practice.) The myths of a society provided people with a context that
made sense of their lives. It directed people’s attention to something beyond
and to something universal. I want to be very careful here and not imply that
all myths that guide cultures are good, wise or useful. The myth of “manifest
destiny” that allowed the European white people to come to this country and
decimate the indigenous people already living here: not good. The myth that the
Jews were God’s chosen people that allowed them to slaughter all the
Canaanites: not good. Further, if you are Jewish and hold to the “we are the
chosen people” myth, things like the Holocaust and the October 7th attack by
Hamas that has left over 1,200 Jews dead; are hard to swallow. Myths are deeply
rooted in the unconscious, in the collective unconscious. When people told
stories about heroes who descended into the underworld and fought with
monsters, they were bringing to light that which is unconscious to us all.
Myths are not accessible to purely rational investigation. Nevertheless, the
myths of our culture have a profound effect on our experience and behavior. All
of us can be captured by those deep forces from the unconscious that cause us
to live lives as either heroes or to be very self- and other-destructive. We
can see the damage caused by the myth of the superiority of the white, or
Aryan, race in Germany. It is more difficult for us to see the damage the myth
of race has done in this country. Wise and useful myths usually come from wise
and useful epistemology. And, they require ritual and hermeneutics for deeper
meaning. For example: Here is a picture of a Chopin Prelude. How do you like
it? This picture of the musical score by itself provides no musical experience.
It is does not satisfy. Unless you are a musical savant, just looking at this
is an abstract experience, even incredible. The music needs to be interpreted
instrumentally before we can appreciate it. Further, there is all the
difference in the world between someone who mechanically plays the notes on
this piece of music and someone who skillfully interprets it and who does so by
knowing something of Chopin, his other works, the history of the piece, how
others have interpreted it and so forth. Apply, please, what I have just now
said about this piece of music to the Bible. To bring this much closer to home
and to our own inherited tradition, the people who crafted and preserved the
myths they told about Jesus had a very different view of history than we do.
They were much less interested in what happened than in the meaning of what
happened. To say to someone of that time that Jesus was born of a virgin would
have just gotten a shrug of the shoulders. So what? After all, the current
savior of the world at that time, one who went by the title “Prince of Peace”
and “Son of God,” Augustus had been born of a miraculous union between Apollo
and his mother when Apollo turned into a snake and crawled into his mother
while she slept at night. Interaction, at least stories about interactions,
between gods and humans was common. So far today a one-sentence summary of what
I’ve tried to teach is that “myth” is the symbol system out of which we live.
Every one of us, whether we are aware of it or not, has a myth out of which we
live - even those who hate the word “myth.” It is largely unconscious and, some
developmental psychologists say, pre-rational. The word “myth” is one of the
most misunderstood words in our language and it is a shame it has come to mean
for many “a falsehood.” In fact, your myth is the truth you live by. Our myths
create a livable world, a sane world. Of course, if our myth is destructive, as
I’ve alluded to, it creates a destructive world. A line I got from Buddhism
decades ago but use frequently as a test for creating a path to walk is, “Is
this wise and useful?” A wise and useful myth creates a livable and meaning
world for ourselves and others. A parable, however, confronts our world and
subverts it. A parable does not create. A parable re-creates our destructive
and illusory myths. Meet the Good Samaritan. Quick review here: What was Jesus’
Creed? Answer: He didn’t have one. He was a Jew and Jew’s had “laws” or
“commands.” So, his “creed,” if you will, was, “Love God with all your soul,
mind, and strength.” And, “Love your neighbor as you love yourself.” This
teaching was at the heart of the first Axial Age: “Do unto others as you would
have them do unto you.” “But,” said one of Jesus’ parishioners, “surely you
don’t mean everyone! Not those despicable people coming across the border to
‘take our jobs and live off food stamps!’” Jesus gave him the eye-roll look.
Then, told a story. You know it. A man, presumably Jewish was traveling between
Jerusalem and Jericho when he got carjacked and set upon by a gang of thugs who
not only took everything he had but also left him for dead. Two of the highest
ranking of religious/political leaders passed by this victim of crime, surveyed
the situation, and for their own reasons, which we do not know but can easily
assume, just kept going. We know the reasons for they are the ones we use when
we find ourselves in an analogous situation. Then along comes a Samaritan.
Jesus was telling this story to Jews about an event that happened to a Jew and
so far the likely Jewish heroes of the story had failed the test. Then, comes
along the most despised person on the list of people to despise by Jews - a
Samaritan. He went to the victim, rendered first aid, put him on his own
animal, took him to the next Hyatt Regency, put him in a first class room, gave
the hotel his Gold American Express card and said, “Take care of him. Whatever
it takes. Charge it to my account. I’ll be back to wrap things up in a few
days.” The crowd who first heard this is speechless. Which is exactly what the
parable, which Jesus was a genius at telling, is supposed to do. Parables do
not call for debate or questioning. A parable is not information about God. A
parable is an encounter with, and often an uncomfortable one, God. It is
uncomfortable not because of God but because the parable challenges and seeks
to correct the myth by which we have been living - in this case that Samaritans
are no-gooders from start to finish and all the way to the bone. But, not here.
A good parable doesn’t lead to mental analysis. It either leads to a
life-transforming insight - ah ha! - or, we decide to turn our backs and resume
business as usual. A parable calls for decision, for a change of perspective.
Recently the clergy here at St. Paul’s were asked to participate in a poll of
sorts. In an effort to help build a curriculum for this year’s confirmation
class, we were asked to submit what were our favorite parables. (I think they
are trying to rope us into talking about them but that’s another story.) I have
this meme someone sent me years ago that shows Jesus sitting on the
mountainside speaking to the crowd. Before beginning his sermon he says, “Now
listen carefully. I don’t want to end up with four different versions of this.”
Well, depending, on which version and how to count, Jesus told between thirty
and forty parables - some claim more. The Good Samaritan is one of the best
known. The Return of the Prodigal Son - which really should be called “the
prodigal father” because of the father’s prodigious love - is another one. My
personal favorite, at least at the moment, is this one. It is in Luke’s
narrative and the preamble to it states simply that Jesus “told this next story
to some who were complacently pleased with themselves over their moral
performance and looked down their noses at the common people.” I know that none
of us in here can even identify with anything like that. Try. “Two men went up
to the Temple to pray, one a Pharisee, the other a tax man. (Let me just inset
here that the church has made Pharisees look like real villains. They were not.
They were really good people. Tax collectors on the other hand were considered
the scum of the earth. This is why it should be astounding to us that, after
beginning to put together his posse, Jesus invited a tax-collector, Matthew, to
join them. I can’t imagine the tension that must have caused for the other
apostles.) To continue: “The Pharisee posed and prayed like this: ‘Oh God, I
thank you that I am not like other people - robbers, crooks, adulterers, or,
heaven forbid, like this tax man. I fast twice a week and tithe on all my
income.” (The painting is by James Tissot) “Meanwhile the tax man, slumped in
the shadows, his face in his hands, not daring to look up, said, ‘God, give
mercy. Forgive me, a sinner.” “Jesus commented, ‘This tax man, not the other,
went home made right with God. If you walk around with your nose in the air,
you’re going to end up flat on your face, but if you’re content to be simply
yourself, you will become more than yourself.’” We all have myths we live by,
that order our lives and give us meaning. Our myths tell us who are the good
guys and who is not. One day in synagogue a rabbi and a cantor and a janitor
were preparing the Day of Atonement. The rabbi approached the ark that held the
Torah scrolls, knelt, beat his breast and bowed his head and cried aloud, “I am
nothing, I am nothing.” The cantor seeing this decided to join the rabbi. He
too knelt before the ark, beat his breast and bowed his head and said aloud, “I
am nothing, I am nothing.” The janitor, seeing this, thought it must be a
custom or ritual he was unfamiliar with. So he found his place beside the two,
knelt, beat his breast and bowed his head and said aloud, “I am nothing, I am
nothing.” The rabbi nudged the cantor and said, “Look who thinks he’s nothing.”
This parable reflects the genius nature of Jesus. I grew up in a church where
the myth I was given caused me, on hearing this story, to label the Pharisee as
a real jerk and kick him out. Which, of course, made me just like him. The myth
I was given caused me to not see what a good man he was. And, it caused me not
to see how like him in being judgmental I was when I judged him as being bad.
Jesus put the truth out there. He let those who heard him make dealing with the
story their problem. Which, when you think about it, shows high respect for the
listener’s spiritual intelligence. It is as if Jesus is saying, “Struggle with
what I’m saying.” He doesn’t qualify his point. He doesn’t try to make sure
everyone understands it clearly. He is not afraid to challenge. He’s not afraid
of being misunderstood. He just puts it out there. Today I have wanted to get
us to raise into awareness the myths by which we live. The assumptions we make
about “what is.” Epistemology. Then to question those myths. To ask, “Are they
wise? Are they useful? Are they loving? Are they compassionate? Are they just.”
Do they lead us to how we shape out conversations with others - both in person
and online.? Do they shape and affect our politics? Spiritual work is living
with these questions, to struggle with them. As Rainer Maria Rilke put it, to
“be patient toward all that is unresolved in your heart and try to love the
questions themselves. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be give you
because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live
everything. Live the questions now.” And, if you can move into that position,
you can thank St. Nick and Good Sam. No matter where you go this week, no
matter what happens, remember this: you carry precious cargo. So, watch your
step.   Lecture Archives Donate Weekly Podcast Your Opinion Matters to Me I
strive to make Ordinary Life interesting and relevant to you and to provide you
with principles and practices that can be used to enhance and enlarge every
aspect of your life.   I invite you to leave me a comment about the latest
Ordinary Life presentation or to suggest what you would like to see in Ordinary
Life in the future. You can access a short survey here or use your phone's
camera on the QR code to the right to take you directly to the survey.   What
is Ordinary Life about? This year, 2024, the theme I want to pursue in my
teaching is Living in the Sacred Stream By “stream” I mean at least three
things: First, the stream of “what is,” the actual and factual. We live in the
stream of cosmological evolution. As Ilia Delio puts it, we live in an energy
field that is evolving, creative, expanding, and entangled. We, humans, are the
species that gives the cosmos the capacity to reflect back on itself. We are
not behaving well in this stream by polluting it in a large variety of ways. We
ignore “what is” at our peril. Second, there is the “stream” of the unconscious
- both individual and collective. In the Gospel of Thomas Jesus is quoted as
saying, “If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save
you. If you fail to bring forth what is within you, what you fail to bring
forth will destroy you.” The primary focus and purpose of doing the kind of
spiritual work Ordinary Life is focused on is “paying attention” and “waking
up.” Third, is the “stream” from which we get our spiritual and religious
teachings. Ordinary Life is in the Christian tradition so we are interested in
going to the source of the teaching of and about Jesus. Over the long period of
time since Jesus taught and lived, his teachings have been muddied. Additions
have been made, as well as errors. That is, the stream has been polluted.
Fortunately, there are able and capable, as well as accessible, scholars who
can illuminate our understanding when it comes to the teachings of Jesus. The
decision to move into and consciously live in the Sacred Stream is challenging,
requires change, and is, ultimately, comforting. Being attentive to the content
of Ordinary Life, whether in person or on line, will contribute to knowledge
and information. The United States is in the crisis presented by Christian
Nationalism precisely because of religious and biblical illiteracy. Ordinary
Life seeks to shed the light of truth on the origins of and teachings of the
Christian faith. Further, Ordinary Life talks are designed to help us all grow
in wisdom and understanding.  Our goal is to walk a path with a growing and
evolving understanding of God in one hand and a growing and evolving
understanding of Self in the other while walking a path illuminated by the life
and teaching of Jesus. You are invited to join this journey and engage in this
vital personal and communal work. Dr. Bill Kerley www.billkerley.com About Bill
            Ordinary Life | Saint Paul's UMC 5501 South Main | Houston, TX
77004 US Unsubscribe | Update Profile | Constant Contact Data Notice