Infopackets Email Newsletter: Friday, Aug 19, 2011

Welcome to the next edition of the Infopackets Newsletter, featuring: MS
Windows and technology news, software reviews, tech tips, weekly desktop
games, plus 2 freeware goodies daily -- now that's a mouthful! ;-)

If you enjoy our email newsletter, please forward it to friends and ask
them to join.

> In This Issue: At a Glance

>>> Today's Headlines

  --> Confirmed: Windows 8 to Get App Store

  --> Report: Teachers Also a Target of Cyber Bullying

  --> On this Day in History: for Friday, Aug 19, 2011

  --> Windows Game of the Week: Time Mysteries: Inheritance

  --> Freeware Picks of the Day: 'USB Protector 1.01', and 'Linkman Lite 8.2'

>>> PLUS ... Yesterday's Top Stories

  --> Insulin Pumps Proven Susceptible to Hacking

  --> Jodie Foster to Help Search for Aliens

>>> At The Very Bottom

  --> Link to: Archive Pages

  --> Link to: Remove / Unsubscribe / Change Newsletter Frequency

> Is your PC Slow, Unresponsive, or Balky?

Try DriverScanner!

The Importance of Software Drivers: Explained

Software Drivers for Microsoft Windows are a key component of PC's Operating
System. In the simplest sense, a software driver (also known as a "driver")
is a software program. A driver is the liaison between the hardware of your
computer and the operating system (MS Windows).

Without a software driver, a device simply won't work. Without a proper driver,
a device may function erratically -- and may even cause your system to operate
unresponsively, lock up, or even crash.

In almost 99.99% of all cases, drivers need to be updated regularly to eliminate
previous bugs that cause instability with Windows -- including lock ups and
crashes.

--

Is your PC up to date with the latest drivers?

Use DriveScanner to automatically check your PC's drivers and have it update
them for you using the DriveScanner 2011 free driver scan:

http://go.infopackets.com/e20110819-00

... Or, read the DriveScanner 2011 review to find out more:

http://go.infopackets.com/e20110819-01

> Keep your PC at Peak Performance

Reimage is not only a PC optimizer, registry fix, or an antivirus --

Reimage works by reversing damage to your Windows operating system, eliminating
the need for reinstalling your PC ever again.

Reimage will scan, diagnose and repair PC problems. During repair, damaged and
missing files are  replaced with clean, fresh files from a continuously updated
database.

Limited time offer of 20% Off for Infopackets Users!

http://go.infopackets.com/e20110819-02

> Latest Stories Available on Main Page

Our main page is updated daily with the latest stories available. To access
those stories, click the main page link below. Otherwise, use the headlines
and links further down this page.

http://go.infopackets.com/e20110819-03

> Today's Headlines: With Synopsis (plus link to story)

>>> Confirmed: Windows 8 to Get App Store

    Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 8 will include support for a
    smartphone-like "app store". But it's not yet clear what the
    implications will be for app developers. The app store is simply a ...

    http://go.infopackets.com/e20110819-04

>>> Report: Teachers Also a Target of Cyber Bullying

    There have been numerous reports of children being bullied by
    classmates through online services. But now it appears that teachers
    are suffering similar treatment. New research by Professor Andy ...

    http://go.infopackets.com/e20110819-05

>>> Insulin Pumps Proven Susceptible to Hacking (20110818)

    An exhibitor at this year's Black Hat Security Conference in Las Vegas
    is warning the public of flaws that could allow an attacker to remotely
    control insulin pumps and alter the information stored ...

    http://go.infopackets.com/e20110819-06

>>> Jodie Foster to Help Search for Aliens (20110818)

    Jodie Foster was the star of Hollywood's 1997 science fiction film
    'Contact', but encountering extraterrestrial life forms isn't just made
    for movies, it seems. Instead, it was recently revealed that ...

    http://go.infopackets.com/e20110819-07

> On This Day in History: Friday, Aug 19, 2011

On this Day in History -- August 19

Famous people born on this day:

 -->  1969, Matthew Perry, actor, "FRIENDS".

 -->  1646, John Flamsteed, first astronomer royal of England.

 -->  1785, Seth Thomas, pioneer in mass production of clocks.

 -->  1871, Orville Wright, famed brother and aviator.

 -->  1931, Willie Shoemaker

 -->  1940, Jill St. John

 -->  1946, Bill Clinton, 42nd President from (1992-1996), 2nd term (1996-
2000).

 -->  1952, Jonathan Frakes, actor Star Trek The Next Generation.

 -->  1965, Kyra Sedgwick, actress.

Events on this day in history:

 -->  1826, Canada Co. chartered to colonize Upper Canada (Ontario.)

 -->  1888, The first beauty contest is held, in Spa, Belgium. The winner
is an 18 year old girl from the West Indies.

 -->  1960, Francis Gary Powers convicted of spying by USSR (U-2 incident.)
Powers later dies at the controls of the KNBC-TV helicopter in Los Angeles
after running out of fuel returning from a fire.

And don't forget...

 -->  Aviation Day.
Admission Day (celebrated in Hawaii.)

> Windows Game of the Week: Time Mysteries: Inheritance

Vivien Ambrose has just discovered how to travel through time! After an
evil time traveler kidnaps her father, it's up to Vivien to follow them to
the past. Using a mysterious crystal ball, visit the past, and meet
Vivien's ancestors. Collect seven magical rings to power up the crystal
ball in this Hidden Object game. Set off through history in Time Mysteries:
Inheritance! Key Features Eerie atmosphere Gorgeous graphics Explore
Blackwater Asylum! Get the Strategy Guide! Requirements Awesome gameplay
Fantastic plot Find Vivien's father! Get the Strategy Guide! [ Try Now ~
77.00 MB ....

http://go.infopackets.com/e20110819-08

> Freeware Picks of the Day: 'USB Protector 1.01', and 'Linkman Lite 8.2'

USB Protector 1.01

USB protector is a small tool developed in Microsoft .Net 3.0 framework to
help prevent malware infections through USB removable storage drives. It
can detect and eliminate malware automatically and provides a full scan of
the drive to find hidden files.

Linkman Lite 8.2

Linkman is a program that allows users to efficiently manage bookmarks. It
works with Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome and Opera browsers. Linkman
is a standalone browser independent bookmarks manager and search tool. This
freeware ...

http://go.infopackets.com/e20110819-09