I believe you are running into Rails defaults before the ASpace plugins come
into play.

As I test, I added the line  'layout "custom"' to
frontend/app/controllers/application_controller.rb.

It will then use layouts/custom.html.erb, and that layout appears  to work if
that file is in either frontend/app/views/layouts/  or
plugins/local/frontend/views/layouts/ .

However, If I try moving the edited copy of application_controller.rb to the
plugins/local/frontend/controllers/ directory, it no longer works as the
default application controller is what the base class for all other
controllers. Perhaps making the plugins extensible on this level would require
adding a conditional check for plugin layouts in base application_controller .

Instead of deep mods, another possible way is patching it after the fact with
javascript.

You could try adding something like the following  to
plugins/local/frontend/views/layout_head.html.erb:

<script type="text/javascript">
  $( function() {

$('.container-fluid').removeClass('container-fluid').addClass('container');
  });
</script>

-- Steve Majewski / UVA Alderman Library