You can see what the default Solr config in ArchivesSpace does with these queries in this screenshot of Solr's analysis tool on a development system:

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/33721187/79843129-b9549680-83b1-11ea-8d3a-670f4e84a6de.png

On the left is how it indexes Governors and on the right is how it handles a query for Governor's. The first step, marked "ST" in light grey, is the Standard Tokenizer. As you can see, it does nothing in this case, and passes both unchanged to the next step ("SF", the stop word filter, which also does nothing.)

Changing to a different tokenizer could change how apostrophes are handled. Or adding a stemmer might do the same and also ensure the same results are returned for singular and plural forms of most words. But these sort of customizations are language-specific. What works for English probably wouldn't work, and might have negative effects, for finding materials in Spanish, French or German. This is one of the advantages of using an external Solr server <https://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/user/running-archivesspace-with-external-solr/> set up - that you can tailor it for your collections and your users. It also means you can run a more up-to-date version of Solr, with more and better options <https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_7/filter-descriptions.html> (we use Word Delimiter Graph Filter and KStem.)

Andrew.