From: archivesspace_users_group-boun...@lyralists.lyrasis.org
<archivesspace_users_group-boun...@lyralists.lyrasis.org> on behalf of Kevin W.
Schlottmann <kws2...@columbia.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 1, 2020 3:04 PM
To: Archivesspace Users Group <archivesspace_users_group@lyralists.lyrasis.org>
Subject: [Archivesspace_Users_Group] MARC importer to handle URLs in 555 and
856 fields?

External Email - Exercise Caution

Hi all,

The metadata standards subgroup of the Technical Advisory Council (TAC) has
been reviewing the published mappings for the MARCXML resource importer.  One
question that came up in our discussion was the handling of URLs in the MARC
555 and 856 $u subfields. Both of these fields use the subfield $u to point to
external web pages; in the archival context these are often links to full
finding aids.  The current MARC importer ignores these two fields.  (We will
add that fact to the mappings, to make explicit that MARC data in these fields
will be lost on import.)

We are reaching out to the community, and see 1) if there is interest in
opening a ticket to request the 555 and 856 fields be added to the importer,
and if so 2) willingness to help spec out the desired default behavior.

We ask for 2) because these fields are used in many different and specific
ways, and one concern we have is that any default behavior will serve only a
small subset of use cases, while most institutions would have to work out local
customizations. In short, this may be a place to leave well enough alone.

Best,

Kevin

--
Kevin Schlottmann