[cid:image005.jpg@01D6C71B.E56BF3F0]

ArchivesSpace Update - November 2020

Development

ArchivesSpace is announcing the availability of v2.8.1. You can download it at
https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v2.8.1.

This release includes improvements to the spreadsheet importer, additional
settable record type preferences, some bug fixes and small feature
improvements, and a number of infrastructure upgrades. Included among these are
some performance, indexer, and small backend and staff interface improvements
courtesy of work Hudson Molonglo did for ArchivesSpace member institution
Queensland State Archives as part of a larger project.

For spreadsheet importer fans: Some changes have been made to the spreadsheet
importer in this release to extend its functionality and improve its
performance, especially with large spreadsheets. Of particular note: there is
now a validation option so that a user can do a test run with a file, providing
the opportunity to clean up any errors outside ArchivesSpace before doing the
actual import; the importer now accepts either Excel spreadsheets or CSV files
that use the templates at
https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/tree/master/templates; and,
while it is accessed from a resource record or resource component as before,
the import now runs as a background job so that it can more easily handle large
files and to make the log file downloadable and saved within ArchivesSpace.
Also, a number of bugs that were introduced with the conversion of the
spreadsheet from a plugin to ArchivesSpace have been fixed for this release.

Thanks very much to community members Andrew Morrison, Blake Carver, Brian
Harrington, Dee Dee Crema, Douglas Simon, Greg Wiedeman, James Bullen, Jeremy
Markowitz, Joshua Shaw, Mark Triggs, Noah Geraci, Payten Giles, and Steve
Majewski for their code contributions to this release. Program team members
Lora Woodford and Mark Cooper wrote and reviewed code and supervised the work
of Bobbi Fox and Brian Zelip, who worked with us as contractors on this
release. This release would, of course, not have been possible without the hard
work of so many of our community groups, including our Development
Prioritization, Testing, Technical Documentation, and User Documentation
sub-teams, and Core Committers Group.

Information on upgrading to a new version of ArchivesSpace is available at
https://archivesspace.github.io/tech-docs/administration/upgrading.html. If you
have any difficulties, please let us know.

We expect to put out one more release in 2020, which will be almost exclusively
focused on changes to the Agents module. You will hear more from us about that
in December.

Position Announcement: ArchivesSpace Technical Lead

We are still accepting applications to be the next Technical Lead for
ArchivesSpace. The Technical Lead works with a wide-ranging group of community
stakeholders and is responsible for the overall development of the software
application and management of the community-based code contribution process.
The Technical Lead works to engage a broad set of developers to participate in
the project, providing technical guidance, support and leadership to maintain a
robust developer community.

This position is part of a geographically distributed team, and, as such,
applications from candidates interested in telecommuting are very welcome.

To learn more, or to submit your resume and cover letter, please visit
https://lyrasis.isolvedhire.com/jobs/145014.html. If you know of someone who
may be interested, or if you are interested yourself, please feel free to reach
out to Christine Di Bella at
christine.dibe...@lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibe...@lyrasis.org> with any
questions.

Volunteer for the Next Online Forum Planning Team

We are currently looking for volunteers for the working group for our third
annual ArchivesSpace Online Forum! Planned for March 2021, this event will
build on the success of the 2020 Online
Forum,<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/966688804/ArchivesSpace+Online+Forum+2020>
 which had over 500 registrants, participating from 15 different countries.

We would love this event to highlight the work institutions near and far are
doing to integrate ArchivesSpace into their systems and workflows, especially
as they've adapted to working from home throughout the past year. We expect to
offer a variety of activities aimed at building community connections and
contacts among our users. All ideas are welcome!

All community members are welcome to volunteer for this working group. We
especially encourage those from our Small and Very Small member institutions as
well as non-U.S. members to join in envisioning the next iteration of this
event. We will schedule meetings and the forum itself in ways that allow for
participation across time zones.

If you would like to volunteer, please contact Jessica Crouch at
jessica.cro...@lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.cro...@lyrasis.org> by December 15,
2020. We look forward to working together for another successful Online Forum.

Community Feedback Requested on the ArchivesSpace Code of Conduct

The ArchivesSpace Member Engagement sub-team of the User Advisory Council has
drafted a new ArchivesSpace Code of Conduct and seeks input from all
ArchivesSpace users. This Code of Conduct will apply to all participants in
ArchivesSpace-supported activities, including events, meetings, listservs and
other communication channels, and our GitHub repositories. It will be
implemented beginning in the 2021 calendar year.

You can access the draft document and provide feedback at
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdQ5l8djzhvYeJVxZ4sbt_h2nL-O9h9DllRVLcVZh533v_JeA/viewform.

Please submit any comments by Friday, December 11th, at noon ET via the
feedback form.

Notes Available from November 11 Community Open Call

Our most recent community Open Call took place on November 11. The notes are
available at
https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/1796440074/2020-11-11+Meeting+notes.
 If you have a question or topic you'd like to have addressed in a future call,
please email Jessica at
jessica.cro...@lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.cro...@lyrasis.org>.

Membership Update

As of November 30, we have 413 General members, 21 Educational Program members,
and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution
becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at
archivesspaceh...@lyrasis.org<mailto:archivesspaceh...@lyrasis.org> for more
information.

________________________________

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and
program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace
Google Group, and SAA's Collection Management Section listserv, as well as
being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this
update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not
be on one of these lists.

Christine Di Bella
ArchivesSpace Program Manager
christine.dibe...@lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibe...@lyrasis.org>