ArchivesSpace is announcing the availability of v3.0.0. You can download it at
https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/.

This release centers around changes to the agents module of ArchivesSpace to
make it more standards-compliant with EAC-CPF and the MARCXML format for
authority data, enabling deeper and richer description of people, families, and
corporate entities, their relationships to each other and their relationships
to materials held outside ArchivesSpace. This work is the result of a community
specification involving the participation of many users across the
ArchivesSpace community, mostly notably Cory Nimer, Sue Luftschein, and Brad
Westbrook. Through this work new fields and sub-records have been added to the
agents schema, and staff and public interface views, imports, exports, and
auxiliary functionality like agent merging have all been updated. There is also
a new Light mode, which provides the option for users to continue to work with
agent records in the staff interface in a pared down view that is similar to
that of ArchivesSpace versions prior to this one.

This release also contains improvements in some other areas of the application
contributed by community developers and program team developers and
contractors. While all are valuable, a few community contributions are of
particular note:

  *   For spreadsheet fans, the developers and archivists at Harvard University
have contributed a spreadsheet feature focused on adding top containers and
associated information to existing archival objects. With this feature, a user
will download a file of archival objects for a resource, add top container
information outside the application, and then import the information into the
resource record, from the Load via Spreadsheet area.
  *   There is a new Unpublish All feature, contributed by Nick Butler at the
University of Cambridge. This feature allows for unpublishing everything in a
resource or groups of archival objects within a resource and represents the
conversion of this popular plugin to core code.
  *   Hudson Molonglo developers James Bullen, Mark Triggs, and Payten Giles
contributed additional performance, backend and staff interface improvements.
These derived from work HM did for Queensland State Archives as part of a
larger project.
Thanks very much to all of our community members who contributed code for this
release: Andrew Morrison, Blake Carver, Bobbi Fox, Brian Harrington, Corey
Schmidt, Dave Mayo, Dee Dee Crema, Fred Reiss, James Bullen, Katie Amaral, Mark
Triggs, Nick Butler, Noah Geraci, Payten Giles, Peter Heiner, and Steve
Majewski. We were also pleased to work for the first time with contractors
April Rieger and Braydon Justice of Notch8 on a small project.

Program team members Lora Woodford, Mark Cooper, and Brian Hoffman wrote and
reviewed extensive code and supervised the work of Manny Ramirez, our longtime
contractor who devoted very substantial time to the expansion of the agents
module. This is also the first release under Brian's supervision as our new
Tech Lead. This release would, of course, not have been possible without the
hard work of our community groups, including our Development Prioritization,
Testing, Metadata Standards, Technical Documentation, and User Documentation
sub-teams, the API Documentation Ad Hoc Working Group, and the Core Committers
Group. We'd also like to thank the SNAC Technology Infrastructure Working Group
for reviewing and testing the changes for EAC-CPF at various points along the
way.

Information on upgrading to a new version of ArchivesSpace is available at
https://archivesspace.github.io/tech-docs/administration/upgrading.html. If you
have any difficulties, please let us know.

ArchivesSpace 3.0.0 has been a major undertaking and we appreciate everyone who
has been involved along the way. Thanks to all for your help and support.

Christine

Christine Di Bella
ArchivesSpace Program Manager
christine.dibe...@lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibe...@lyrasis.org>