Hello ArchivesSpace members,

The ArchivesSpace team is pleased to announce a release candidate, v3.4.0-RC1.
You can download it at
https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v3.4.0-RC1 or test
it out without downloading at http://test.archivesspace.org/staff  (username
admin /password admin).

This release candidate includes many bug fixes and feature enhancements. Of
particular note are enhancements related to creating digital objects and making
it easier to identify digital content for and in the public interface. The most
complex work relates to new functionality using the previously unused Make
Representative button. Based on a community-authored
specification<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-fi-1jpE7GqWc0zWxWsRO9zgRmR1vFFygp6jGnKh23k/edit?usp=sharing>,
 it is now possible to mark a particular file version on a digital object or
digital object component for display on different types of records, including
digital objects, digital object components, accessions, resources, and archival
objects. Representative images also display in relevant browse and search
result displays in the public and staff interface. Draft
documentation<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yO8dM0o54GhIrY0ZdzNOXjSR25dt7r0WSwGUNC1rPxU/edit?usp=sharing>
 for how to use this functionality is available for reference and comment.

Other enhancements for digital objects include the option to set a preference
to spawn description fields from the linked accession, resource or archival
object record when creating digital object instances; a View Digital Material
section added to the "pill" for resource records in the public interface when
there is digital content within the resource; breadcrumbs that make the context
for linked digital objects easier to see in result displays; and a more
recognizable generic button for digital content when an image cannot be shown.

Enhancements not related to digital objects but still significant include work
submitted by Hudson Molonglo that it did for Princeton University to add local
access restriction fields to the spreadsheet importers and RDE, and include
URIs in EAD exports; more attractive print displays for records, including
accessions; a new CSV import for standalone subjects; internal note fields for
top containers and container profiles; and the elimination of a bug that caused
hover text for the Help Center to sometimes appear at inopportune times.

A particular thanks to our Testing sub-team for their work testing individual
JIRAs, the Make Representative functionality, and doing regression testing
across the application. Additional thanks to our User Documentation sub-team
for their feedback on the Make Representative functionality.

Because of the potential impact of the Make Representative functionality and
other features related to digital objects, we highly encourage you to test this
release candidate with your own data if you can. We will be holding the
feedback period open for longer than usual as a result. Please send us comments
or questions at
archivesspaceh...@lyrasis.org<mailto:archivesspaceh...@lyrasis.org> by May 15.

Based on the results of this feedback period, we will determine when to release
the production version of 3.4.0.

Please get in touch if you have any questions. Thanks as always for your
feedback and support.

Christine

Christine Di Bella
ArchivesSpace Program Manager