From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of ARIE-L
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:15 PM
To: ARIE-L@u.washington.edu
Subject: [ARIE-L] OCLC SEARCHING

Forwarded by the list manager
==============================

Colleagues,

These lists may not be the best venue to post my remarks but maybe
they will reach many ILL people:

(1) For the past year and more I have noticed an alarming trend of
libraries requesting books from us on the OCLC e-book record, instead of
the print/hardcopy record.  In most instances, we do not hold the print
version of the book; so we have to say No to the requests.  When you
search WorldCat, it lists relevant records in descending order by number
of holdings.  The print record is not necessarily the first one in the
list.  Sometimes, more libraries hold the e-book version than the print
version, so the OCLC record for the e-book shows up first.  This is not
the record to use.

(2) Similar to the e-book issue discussed above, I have noticed a *much,
much more *alarming trend of libraries requesting articles from us on
the OCLC electronic version of the journal, instead of on the print
record.  The same thing may occur that more libraries hold the
electronic version of the journal than the print version.  We have to
say No to many requests each day because we only hold the electronic
version (our holdings in OCLC for e-journals are put on the e-journal
record, not the print record) and recent issues will be blocked from
access.  I would imagine that many libraries would also be saying No
because their electronic access is blocked.  If you request an article
on the OCLC record for the *print version *of the journal, the possible
supplying libraries may have the issue containing the article.  Plus, if
you have Custom Holdings set up (I can't imagine any library working
with WorldCat Resource Sharing that doesn't use Custom Holdings, but
there evidently are many), by using the OCLC record for the print
version of the journal, you can verify that the libraries in your lender
string should have the vol/issue you need.

Thanks for letting me bring up these issues.

W. Stephen Breedlove

Reference Librarian/Interlibrary Loan Coordinator

Connelly Library, La Salle University

215-951-1862

information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
prohibited.