If you still have the mystery Ariel file stored, you can determine what
institution sent the file with a little investigating:

1) Check the IP address in the Ariel file

2) Use a reverse IP lookup tool (e.g. https://www.arin.net/ has a "Search
WHOIS" box in the upper right corner), which will tell what institution that IP
address goes to.

3) Use the information from the IP lookup and the OCLC policy directory (
https://illpolicies.oclc.org/ipd/NewSearch.do?start=standard ) and used the

4) You can verify a likely match by comparing the IP address from the Unit ->
Information section.

Or for the quick attempt, you can try using Google and searching for the IP
address + Ariel.  This may not work if their sending and receiving addresses
are different, or if they don't publicly post their IP address.

Graham Fredrick
Information and Technical Assistant
Walter E. Helmke Library, Room 163
Indiana University - Purdue University Fort Wayne
260-481-6508

>>> Jennifer Rose Salvo <jen.sa...@nyu.edu> 2/18/2009 12:01 PM >>>
The first mystery document came with paperwork listing us as the borrower (and
no indication of lender), but we had no record of that item every being
requested.

The second mystery document was sent without any identifying paperwork of the
request, which is why I asked my staff to post it to the list. Believe me, if
we knew the lender or borrower, we wouldn't be posting to the list.

Yes, I agree it should be standard procedure to send the original request as a
cover sheet to any document. Unfortunately, this is not always the case.

Jen Salvo
Supervisor, Interlibrary Loan
New York University
212-998-2512