Hi,

There is a suggestion by Ariel as below:

Please check to make sure that your ports 419-422 are open. To verify the
firewall port requirements please follow the instructions below:-

(Client Machine) Open IE and key in the address www.grc.com, on the page click
on "Shields Up".

On the page http://www.grc.com/default.htm click on "ShieldsUP!" under "Hot
Spots"

This will open the page https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 -click on proceed.

On the page https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 enter the port number 419-422
on the text box provided on the page and click enter.

This will examine the ports and give a text summary.

This is related with the Firewall. For Ariel to Send and Receive Documents the
Ports 419 - 422 are to be opened bi-directionally for Inbound and Outbound TCP
Traffic for the specific IP Address.

If you are using Ariel 3.3 then any 2 ports in the range 1024-5000 needs to be
opened on the external Firewall. So please consult your Network Administrator
in resolving the Issue.

All Ariel versions listen on port 419 for inbound connections (command port).
Ariel 2.2 uses the range of 1024-5000 for data & its non user adjustable. Ariel
3.01 allows a selection of ports from 1024-5000. Ariel 3.3 & 3.4 allows the
same range, plus the option to use ONLY 422 as the data port.

Ariel 4.0, 4.1, 4.1.1 uses ports 419 & 422

PORTS 419 & 422 MUST NOT HAVE A STEALTH STATUS

Or you can email your problems to Ariel (Email :  ar...@infotrieve.com).

Regards.

Leung Wai Keung
Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Services
Pao Yue-kong Library
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Web: http://interloan.lib.polyu.edu.hk/illiad/

>>> "Janet Stewart" <janet.stew...@umb.edu> 07/03/09 5:47 AM >>>

Over the past 6 months or so we have been experiencing problems receiving
articles from certain ARIEL schools but not all.
We currently are running on ARIEL 3.4

It is getting to be a particular problem on the RAPID ill service of which we
are a member

A number of the schools with which we cannot seem to communicate using ARIEL
are foreign schools

We are also consulting with the IT staff on our campus and providing them with
IP addresses to see if there is some sort of firewall issue that may affect
some and not others

Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so were you able to solve it?

Janet Stewart
Interlibrary Loan
UMass Boston
BMU