Dithering is 'A way of simulating gray tones or colors by grouping dots
so they can be merged into a intermediate colors or tones.' (according
to HP's glossary)
Ariel has settings that allow the scanner to scan differently to produce
a better image on x-rays, chromatography, etc., if the scanner has the
dithering capability.  This often gets used in conjunction with making
the image brightness a little lighter.  This kind of scanning doesn't
create the large file size of using gray scale and it actually looks
better to me than gray scale.  (We typically use dither pattern 1 and
click the brightness back 2 notches.)  Some of the HP printers don't
allow changing brightness and contrast, at least not unless you are
using gray scale or color.

--Tom
*****
Thomas B. Craig, MSLS
Director of Library Services
Watson W. Wise Medical Research Library
University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler
phone: 903-877-2864
fax: 903-877-2221
email: thomas.cr...@uthct.edu
*****
Opinions stated are those of the sender and are not official statements
of the University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler.  Please do
not share or forward without permission.  Please inform the sender of
misdirected messages.