-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Ellison [mailto:j-elli...@northwestern.edu]
Sent: Thursday, 22 October 2009 4:07 AM
To: 'Interlibrary Loan Listserv'; 'ILLiad-l Discussion List';
'Discussion of the Ariel Document Transmission System'
Subject: [ARIE-L] Using Adaptec SCSI card under Vista, USB scanners

Apologies for cross-posting--I've just been asked to produce an
equipment request by the end of the day.

Question 1.

We're currently using two SCSI scanners, a Fujitsu M3096GX and an
ancient HP 4C, with an Adaptec 2930U SCSI card. I'd previously been
given to understand that Adaptec wasn't supporting this card with a
Vista driver, however I now see that there is a driver available for
download on their site, at
<http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/downloads/ms/ms_win_vista?productId=AHA-29
30U&
dn=AHA-2930U>. Has anyone had any success in using this driver/card
combo with this (or any other) Fujitsu scanner? I don't care as much
about the HP, since I do have other facilities available for producing
the occasional color scan, but the Fujitsu is my day-to-day work
horse.(As an aside, I do see a virtue in abandoning SCSI now, since it
seems likely that the next generation of computers/OS won't support it
at all. Anyone think I'm wrong in this?)

Question 2.

My copy request volume is 800-1000/year, but my office also does other
scanning as needed for departmental exhibits, presentations, proposals,
etc.
My preference is for color scanners capable of scanning up to 11"x17"
documents--either a flatbed with ADF, or face-up, with a USB connector.
The flatbed scanners I'm looking at are the Fujitsu FI-6770 and the
Epson GT-20000. I've got a price on the Epson from their site, but of
course Fujitsu doesn't publish their prices. If anyone has a ballpark
price for it, I'd appreciate that.

I'm not sure about which face-up scanners to look at--has anyone used
the Zeutschel OS 12000 C? Does anyone even know the ballpark price for
it? I'd look at the Minolta PS5000C, but it's SCSI-only. The PS7000C
MKII is USB, but it carries a 5-figure price tag as far as I know. Is
anyone using it?
Have you leveraged it's ability to support a copy card to allow public
scanning to offset some of the cost? Finally, I've got the same
questions (use, price) regarding the Bookeye. I notice it's neither SCSI
nor USB, relying instead on a network connection. That could be a big
plus, since that's a protocol that won't disappear as we replace desktop
equipment.

Finally, if you use a face-up scanner--how do you deal with the need to
scan pages that would be best fed through an ADF? Do you also have an
inexpensive ADF-only scanner, or do you rely on facilities elsewhere in
your library? My concern is that doing so would slow us down enough to
make it a deal-breaker, even if the face-up scanner were otherwise
affordable.

Thanks for any answers, and apologies for the time constraints.

Joe Ellison
Document Delivery and Digital Initiatives Assistant Transportation
Library, Northwestern Univ Library (OCLC = JCR) 1970 Campus Dr,
Evanston, IL 60208-2300
voice: 847-491-8600, fax: 847-491-8601
j-elli...@northwestern.edu
http://www.library.northwestern.edu/transportation/