On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 9:22 PM, Richard Wilbur <richard.wil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One downside of the 2.7.4 board at this point is the changes in capacitor
> pricing that have been ameliorated only on version 2.7.5.  Here's hoping the
> 2.7.5 board works!

 darn yeah i'd forgotten about the implications of the price-hike.  whoops.

> […]
>> software-wise i need something that does nothing more complex than
>> mount stuff on a micro-sd card, show boot messages on both screens,
>> and maybe has 2 keyboards plugged in (one into each USB socket) so
>> that they can bash some keys and see that crud comes up on-screen for
>> each.
>>
>> going beyond that... testing I2C, UART and the GPIO.... *sigh*...
>> that involves writing some software.
>
> I'd be happy to write some test software for I2C, UART, GPIO, etc.
>  I've worked on drivers for those interfaces on embedded machines in the past.
> I also have experience creating and implementing software and hardware test
> designs.  One example, I modified my employer's PCI VGA BIOS to test the card
> at boot which significantly streamlined testing of our cards.  Another
> example,
> in order to test a design I created I2C driver and test code to demonstrate
> feasibility
> on a prototype and then incorporated it into production code in the BIOS and
> driver.

 nice!  well, this would be a lot simple: scan the I2C bus (lmsensors
debian package), see if a peripheral at address 0x51 comes up, if it
does _great_.  it's a few lines of shell script.

 UART: if i add a USB-to-UART adapter onto a "test" microdesktop unit,
if there's output on the console and it's not garbage, that's good
enough.

 the GPIO... yes, that's where some coding comes in.  there's actually
only a few pins spare, they're all on the 14-pin header of the
microdesktop board.  except for two which are intended for bit-banging
a separate I2C driver for VGA "EDID" detection....

> Happy to collaborate on board bring up as well.

 great.

>   I've worked on bringing up in-house boards for two employers:
> PCI graphics cards (for which we used oscilloscope and completed someone
> else's programmable logic design), embedded computers in different modules
> of high-speed wireless communications links (tools used:  spectrum analyzer,
> oscilloscope, logic analyzer, PCI bus analyzer, MPEG protocol analysis
> software, processor In-Circuit Emulator, serial terminal).

 ooo fuuun :)

 honestly the board's pretty "mature" and a lot simpler than that.  no
PCI, no PCIe, it's all SD/MMC, UART, USB, I2C, SPI, RGB/TTL, that sort
of thing, where all of those have all worked in previous boards, no
reason why they shouldn't work in the 2.7.5 version (except i tidied
up the USB lines a bit... never keen on altering stuff that works...
ah well).

 on the actual board itself, it's so tightly integrated (and also
quite simple) that it tends to be an all-or-nothing.   does power
work, measure the voltages, yes no.  ok does plugging in USB-OTG only
have it show up on "lsusb" yes no.  yes ok great let's load the FEL,
does _that_ work, yes no, yes ok great, now does loading u-boot
directly into DDR3 RAM work, yes, no.

 the FEL (u-boot-spl) loader has a nice debug feature of displaying a
few lines of early UART.  so that's a really good way to tell if the
A20's alive.

 from there i can compile u-boot to look for a particular micro-sd
card slot, which it will scan, and show debug messages "SD card
detected" and so on.  i can do commands which list the partitions and
so on.

 it's pretty straghtforward: anything not working shows up really
quickly and easily.

> If you've got that covered, I'm happy playing the role of the ally
>  you can describe the problem to and who, through listening to
> your description, helps you see the solution!

 appreciated.

 ... y'know... when we get to the RISC-V 64-bit SoC then that's going
to be a lot trickier.  aside from anything it will be necessary to do
the DDR3 layout from scratch.  i can't stand doing DDR3 layouts,
they're... blegh :)  get it wrong and yeah you reaaaly need a logic
analyzer...

oh.  i have an RK3288 board that could use your help.  i only got one
of the DDR3 lanes up and running.

l.