ons 2011-09-21 klockan 16:17 -0400 skrev Jon Masters:

> We will continue to build ARMv7 packages in the bootstrap effort. We
> will use GA packages as we have done. Those packages that fail to build
> with the GA sources will be built using updated sources. KDE and other
> stacks on a case-by-case basis will be granted a special exception, and
> all of the packages can be pulled from updates. We want to be close to
> GA, but we don't want to be unreasonable either. This should resolve
> most of the issues around FTBFS and updates issues.

What I am missing is some reasonable arguments why we want to start
close to GA instead of current?

Me and several others have shown several benefits both practical and
techical of incorporating updates by default in the process, and there
have been none or very little explanation to the reason why the koji
builds should start at some psuedo GA-but-not-really-GA state and then
try to wiggle it's way forward from there.

> TARGET: October 14th or sooner for remaining packages/ready for Koji.

I now see this as a realistic target for ARMv7, even with updates and
most of the distribution bootstrapped, not only the minimal set. And
what is not ready by then simply have to wait until it's unblocked.

There is significant java related issues in stage3 & 4 currently. Both
in java, gcj and ejc.

For the desktop set there is some FTBFS issues which blocks many
packages, but those are by no means blocking koji or anything else. The
more of those that gets unblocked the better ofcourse.

> ARMv5 F15 bootstrap
> -------------------
>
> Chris Tyler and the team at Seneca are going to throw dozens of builders
> at building the world of F15 v5 packages, using a similar approach to
> that done for v7 bootstrap.

It would be great if a shared repository were set up collecting what
have been built.

Some additional planning of this is needed for a smooth ride. The random
build order used for the armv7hl bootstrap can not be recommended for
armv5tel, instead builds should to be reasonably dependency ordered, and
reshaken a bit after that. In the armv7hl case dependency ordering were
enforced indirectly as there was no prior versions of anything, but the
situation is not the same for armv5tel where there already is prior
versions of most packages that matter placing more importance on the
order of builds.

Also, do our hacked rpm & yum versions work for both arch versions
currently? If not then that should be fixed as soon as possible to allow
builders to build for both targets. Ideally it would be no more than a
diferent mock root configuration as is done in the primary arches.

> We will pull both sets of (matching) v7 and v5 packages into a Koji
> instance hosted at Seneca. A mass rebuild with both sets of builders
> will be initiated by October 21st with a goal of being complete prior to
> Fedora 16 GA. We will work together to make sure Koji is ready to do
> this by establishing a test v5/v7 instance as soon as possible.

Only the srpms should be pulled into koji as a single set for both
targets, with koji referencing the stage4 repositories as external
repositories at build time only.

I suspect there will be koji issues with some packages that have already
been built in koji and not updated for F15. Hopefully others more
familiar with the workings of koji can tell how to get those built when
adding the new arch.

> We will monitor the Koji situation. If there are going to be unforeseen
> delays in this approach, we will fall back to separate Koji instances
> for v5 and v7. The official Seneca instance running v5 will be the
> official Fedora 15 ARM release. A separate instance will be established
> for v7 builds and we will make a test release for v7. We will then seek
> to integrate fully for F16 from the outset. We need to be mindful that
> Fedora 16 is to hit GA on November 1 (likely slipping a week though). We
> should not delay so much that we continue to be behind at that time.

What will be the fallback plan if it turns out there is something that
seriously blocks armv5tel F15? armv7hl published as experimental with
it's own koji and try again on F16?

Regards
Henrik