On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:44 AM, Brendan Conoboy <b...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Fedora 19 has many of the enablers for native aarch64 in core packages such
> as glibc and gcc.  Many more packages would compile if config.guess and
> config.sub recognized aarch64 as a valid architecture, but only the latest
> version of autoconf knows about aarch64.  At last week's fedora-arm meeting
> we talked about the viability of automatically patching such packages.  The
> outcome of that discussion was that we should first identify how many
> packages need such a patch, then decide what to do based on that number.
>
> Red Hat's Al Stone has written a script which automatically generates
> patches for each package that needs it (And updates its spec file). After a
> complete run we can say that ~1850 packages need such a patch. The number
> may be larger, but it is definitely not smaller, as his only considers
> autoconf-using packages.  If another auto configuration system is in use by
> a number of packages it too many need updating (cmake?). Now that we have
> this number, what do we want to do?
>
> I see a few options:
>
> 1. Do nothing, trip over this issue at least 1850 times during bootstrap.
>
> 2. Mail all package owners asking for action.
>
> 3. Proven packager commits the patches, package owners take them out once
> unnecessary.
>
> 4. Run autoconf during build, incurring wrath of any packager whose package
> isn't compatible with the latest autoconf.
>
> 5. Your much more sensible idea goes here.
>
> What say you?

Firstly where is the list of 1850 packages that are affected?

Also we do need to know whether the likes of cmake do need work or
what else might need work. There's 13K packages in Fedora, of that how
many are autoconf driven (so what sort of percentage is the 1850, it
might give us an idea of what has been updated).

I don't see 1 and 4 as an option. Option 2 should read "File a bug
against every affected package with it linked to a tracking bug asking
them for action"

I think a "5) file a rel-eng bug with the patches and script and ask
them to do it" which was I believe the plan prior to mass rebuild but
the script/list wasn't ready in time/

Ultimately we need to get this done and any analysis of other non
autoconf build platforms that might need the work too prior to the
branching which is scheduled to happen on March 12. That gives us a
week to get this sorted.

Peter