On 03/04/2013 04:40 PM, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
Agree.  As I mentioned in private emails, I favor in-uboot
auto-detection with hush scripts in a combined /etc/uboot.d, but this
might be too limited to support some eccentricities (Your panda vs
panda-es example is tricky).  If you do most of the dirty work inside
uboot itself you have a better chance of making a unified Fedora image.

Do you see this library as a new package or an extension to an existing
package?  Right now we have some uboot information embedded in grubby in
a not-entirely-satisfactory way.  I think a new package that grubby and
anaconda require on arm on would be preferable.

For those who are interested I've put together a proof of concept of the above at placed it on my people page:

http://people.fedoraproject.org/~blc/fedora-arm/gruboot/

There is a readme in the tarball, but briefly: Running gruboot will regenerate your boot.scr with a significantly more sophisticated version using hush scripting. The new version autodetects the kind of system you are using and generates menus for all the kernels and dtbs you have installed. While it nominally provides support for trimslice, panda*, beagle*, highbank, and armadaxp I've only tested it on trimslice with both bootm and bootz. Feel free to try it out and send feedback. If this is a path we want to go down we will need to integrate with either the kernel or grubby package such that it is called after every kernel is installed or uninstalled. And a new name would be nice, too. Anybody who finds a bug or makes an enhancement is welcome to suggest a better name ;-)

--
Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / b...@redhat.com