>compressed *.raw.xz images which must be unpacked (at least under
>windows) to write on SD card.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XZ_Utils  provides links to programs that
should expand the .xz file on a Windows system.  The expanded
file is what must be copied to a SD card and used in an ARM device.

Note that the raw image has a modest size (in order to fit on an 8GB SD
card.)  I usually use 16GB or 32GB SD cards, and expand the ext4 root
filesystem on the SD card to the maximum possible size for the card in
use, before I boot on an ARM device.  Any Fedora system can do this
(x86 architecture is fine) using the parted, e2fsck, and resize2fs
commands.  This is not a necessary step, but it is easy to run out of
space when there is only a few gigabytes available, as in the raw image.

It would be convenient if the First Boot operation offered an option to
resize the root filesystem.  Someone may have already done this, yet I
failed to notice because of my habit.