A bit of a followup.

I installed a JeOS image on the Raspberry PI 3B. Then I added the packages
that were for the raspberrypi. This included some X11 packages. After that,
a GUI login and a GUI user environment worked. So perhaps an image with the
raspberrypi packages pre-installed would make sense.

Sorry I don't remember the package names. I don't have the device near me.
I can check this evening. I just wanted to follow up that there is a
solution.

--
Roger Oberholtzer