On 2023/01/27 09:41, Jan Stary wrote:
> On Jan 26 23:58:26, mark.kette...@xs4all.nl wrote:
> > > Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 23:37:31 +0100
> > > From: Jan Stary <h...@stare.cz>
> > >
> > > Ah, sory for the noise: I had AUDIODEVICE set up in /etc/profile
> > > to point to another machine (before audio started working on this
> > > macbook),
> > > which I only realized now that _that_ machine is up :-)
> > >
> > > Recording still doesn't work though.
> > > Is anyone recording on the M1 MacBook Air?
> >
> > What do you want to record?
>
> Just speech, occasionaly (meetings).

So from the microphone then, which is the tricky area.

That's also the case for many modern amd64 laptops too by the way.
They typically have an array of (probably MEMS) microphones and a
DSP running some firmware to process them (search terms: intel sst,
soundopenfirmware, dmic, ...)

> The laptop mikes are usualy very poor for anything else anyway.

That's getting improved a lot by the above, but it makes it more
complicated to support.