There is paint arbitrage and clothing arbitrage --- it's called buying wholesale and selling retail.  In most cases the role of the retailer as that of a distributor only, and the further processing he/she takes can simply be adding a nice display case.  As for buying paint at Home Depot, changing the label and selling it to folks in Beveraly Hills at a ritzy boutique.  I suspect that happens too.  But if not, it's a very good question.

As for imperfect information and demand being driven by marketing.  Of course.  Look at the price of diamonds -- all image created by DeBeers.  There are many examples of that.

Rick

fabio guillermo rojas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

02/15/2001 04:12 PM
Please respond to ARMCHAIR