Coincidentally enough, i just finished reading _Guns, Germs, and Steel_ as
well, it made for some interesting hours on the exercycle.  I thought his
overall thesis was useful--the importance of existing plant and animal
resources and topography on the growth of early cultures--and he did
make some valid points about the obstacles to technological innovation in
Australia, the Americas, and much of Africa.

john

At 12:37 PM 2/16/01 +0100, you wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 01:16:52PM -0800, Alexander Robert William Robson
>wrote
> > On a similar topic, what do people on this list think of Jared Diamond's
> > book "Guns, Germs and Steel"?  Although I am not convinced by many of his
> > arguments (he's just plain wrong in a lot of cases),  I found the
> > book to be very thought provoking.
>
>I am currently reading that book. It definitely is thought provoking.
>Just a question, where is it that he is just "plain wrong?". I'm always
>open to a contrary opinion...
>
>Krist
>

>--
>Krist van Besien                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

John W. Cunningham
Contract Administrator
United Academics
PO Box 755895
Fairbanks, AK  99775
Toll Free 1-877-474-2461 (In-state only)
Phone:  907-474-2461 Fax: 907-474-2465
(http:www.alaska.net/~academe/)